Fruit lovers!!!

tj

Hi

Anyone in Charente area able to throw some light on where to buy good fresh fruit at reasonable prices?
We go thru about 20 kilo's a week, and usually runs to about 80 euro's per month.

We are finding the supermarkets expensive ( blatant rip off in fact ) and the market even worse!

Maybe its just the season and will be better in summer?

thanks

Ok, I'm sure it won't solve ALL your problems, given that we're only talking about apples, but as you're near Saintes, have you visited Pom'Royal, off the main Saintes-Oleron road? It's signposted from the main road (keep following the signs - you will get there eventually!) Just before you get to Corme Royale (after La Clisse) on the left hand side. They mainly sell apples - all varieties, plus apple juice, puree, compote and jams (Apple with other fruit, or other fruit alone, lest you feel a similarity coming on with a famous Monty Python sketch) and sometimes the odd other fresh or dried fruits as well. Prices are reasonable, they grow all the fruit - if anyone cares, they've planted Bramleys, which fruited for the first time last year, so if you crave a good old English apple pie anytime...........

They are open from Sept-end of June (from memory) and if you shop there regularly they do a loyalty card scheme which, once you've bough enough, entitles you to either 5 litres of apple jiuce or 10Kg of apples for free!! Thus, even if their prices aren't the cheapest (and sitting here back in the UK I can't honestly tell you exactly what they charge) you do get something back for what you spend!

Jane

[quote]Hi Anyone in Charente area able to throw some light on where to buy good fresh fruit at reasonable prices? We go thru about 20 kilo's a week, and usually runs to about 80 euro's per month. We are...[/quote]

Have you thought of growing your own?

No need for fancy gardening technics and all that.

Just put 3 or 4 peach stones or apricot in a hole in the garden. Walnuts etc... Water it from time to time...Put a marker there that you don't shave off the growing sapling when having a mad dash to mow the lawn! and see what happens...

Where you are you shouldn't have problems with warm and sun etc...

My parents live near Niort and that is all they have done to their garden. It is now full of fruits, strawberries running wild etc...in fact too much for both of them as my siblings and I have flown the nest.

At least plenty shade for the summer evenings to sip G&T...

Enjoy!.