Clafouti disasters

edyth

Why do all my clafoutis turn out different? We have started to call all such efforts "clafouti surprise" as I never know what they will be like.

Most are edible - but some are horrible and the some are quite nice. I have even had one delicious.

Is it the flour, the oven temperature or what?

An idiot-proof recipe would be much appreciated. I tried a search but kept getting "timed out" messages and a page of code.

Many thanks to any advice. I expect TU will be an expert so am awaiting replies with ingredients at the ready.

Edith

Ah dear. We were given a clafoutis a couple of weekends ago when we are invited out. It was edible. Sorry Edyth but I have never had one that was any more than edible. And me left thinking what a waste of time,  ingredients and fruit as I always do, added to which the hostess told us that she hadn't taken the stones out of the cherries.

I have never got away with either a 'flan' or clafoutis I'm afraid. And have never had a desire to bake either of them.

Good luck, hope that someone can give you an idea or recipe that pleases you.

[quote]Why do all my clafoutis turn out different? We have started to call all such efforts "clafouti surprise" as I never know what they will be like. Most are edible - but some are horrible and the some a...[/quote]

I made the Raymond Blanc recipe mentioned here

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=280&MessageID=174209

and it was lovely! In fact, I've made it several times since!

Not heavy and brick-like, as some can be, be light and luscious, as they should always be!

Clair

Mine always turn out like a cherry omlette I have followed various recipes and always too eggy. Next time I am going to make it more like a pancake batter. I have to keep trying, as we have 5 hens and a very productive cherry tree; waste not want not and all that.

Jo