APPLE SAUCE

Ziggystardust

If you want something to eat with pork, and not to store, then it's pretty simple.

Peel, core and chop into 1 inch cubes a few apples, 3 or 4 should be ample.

Put in a saucepan with a just a little water, or white wine, or calvados if you like

add a little sugar, one teaspoon for each apple if you like it tart, or more if you have a sweet tooth

add 2 or 3 cloves (optional, but that's how I like it) you could also add a little powdered ginger if you like things spicy

stew over a low heat, stirring occainionally, until the apples turn to mush, about 5 minutes normally

taste it, now you can add more sugar or liquid if you like, taste it again, play around with it until you have something you like.

Remove the cloves and serve.

Thanks Cathy, that does sounds delish!

I was hoping to make some to eat straight away, I guess it would keep in the fridge for a few weeks at least but I would also like to prepare some for storage too.

Unfortunately, I havent a clue what apples I would use as they are from the trees in the garden!

Many thanks again

Lou.

I have always cooked mine in the microwave.

In the UK I had a Laxton Pipin tree in the garden and the apples were ideal. I just peeled and cored the apples, sliced them and put them in a bowl in the microwave - no sugar, no water. I cooked them on "high" until pulped and bagged them in portions ready for when we were having roast pork, or in larger portions suitable for an apple pie. Done in the autumn I had enough until the next year's glut.

Since coming to France I have used the Golden Delicious which are left to rot on the ground in a nearby commercial orchard.

I might try adding cloves or ginger next time - sounds good to me.

I store them in the freezer - sorry forgot to say that.

I suppose the variety of apples would determine the sugar content  and whether or not they pulp well.

Anyway I am a firm believer in freezing or preserving when things are in season and hate to see things left to rot if they can be used.

Hi guys

try cooking the apples with a sprig of rosemary in --- not too much rosemary as it can make it taste soapy... you could even try a sprig of lavander.

I peel my apples, core them and slice them thickly, pop them into some lemon juice to stop them going brown then pop them into a saucepan with a tight fitting lid and cook them down gently to the consistency I require either a coarse texture or a smooth pulp i too have added calvados and sometimes a nice scrumpy jack or strong flat cider it really does make a difference to the flavour and I always add a pinch of salt...

If ever I bottle the sauce I always heat the jars (Not too hot) and put the lids on as soon as the jars are filled and the apple sauce is still hot (helps to form a vacuum) --- prevents bacteria and moulds from growing...

sit back and enjoy the "seasons out of season" after all the whole point of preserving is to enjoy foods,which have waved goodbye a few months earlier

cheers

Barry