Double cream / whipping cream

Yvonne

Can anyone tell me what to buy in France when  a recipe calls for really stiffly whipped cream that won't 'flop' 10 minutes after it's been put in the fridge??

I have tried buying  'creme epaisse' and whilst it is very thick in the carton it doesn't seem to whip up any thicker.

I have heard that some people use creme fraiche but isn't this too sour for a dessert, and does it whip well??

Thanks,

Abi

The only way I can guarantee that my cream is how I want it, is to use creme fixe or one of the other products en sachets. I buy those small boxes of Elle et Vire creme liquide and keep them in the fridge. I whip them up with a little icing sugar and then as I am whipping the cream drizzle the creme fixe into it and as soon as it is thick enough to pipe then I stop.

I reckon if I whipped creme epaisse it would just about turn to butter.

[quote]The only way I can guarantee that my cream is how I want it, is to use creme fixe or one of the other products en sachets. I buy those small boxes of Elle et Vire creme liquide and keep them in the fr...[/quote]

TU, that is the first time I've heard of Creme Fixe. I can't remember noticing it in the baking sections of supermarkets - where do you get it from?

It is on the rayon usually next to the flour where they sell Vahiné dried fruit and cake decorations and levure chimique. There are two I use I is called Creme Fixe and the other is by Vahiné and is called Fixe Chantilly. It is probably horribly chemically, that is why I am careful about how much I put in. But it works and I wouldn't be without it. I usually get mine from Super U, but I think Carrefour has it too.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some Fixe Chantilly recently on someone's recommendation but it reeks of vanilla so I threw it in the bin (can't stand vanilla).

Is the Fixe Creme the same, or without vanilla? I just want to make whipped cream, not sweet and not flavoured.

BTW If you whip creme epaisse it does thicken, but not enough and is very foamy.

I have been told (though I haven't tried it yet) that creme cru fermiere will whip like double cream.  It is not as acidy as creme fraiche but is still more sour than fresh UK cream.  In any case, creme cru fermiere is thick enough to spread straight onto e.g. a pavlova base or a cake - just a little more fattening than the UK stuff filled with air!

Valerie

Our Hyper U and Super U now stock a professional creme, its in the big litre cartons and costs 2.50 at hyper u or 2.65 at super u, it is in a blue and white carton with a chef on the front. It's excellent and whips just like *uk* cream. Trifles are no longer a battle of the cream....