Watch out, there's Crumble about!

SaligoBay

Another Positive British Experience.   Crumble has arrived in France, read all about it......

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1562433,00.html

And it's true, French people love apple crumble (or indeed any other kind).

The recipe book is part of the phenomenon too.  Many of the new cookery books on French shelves aren't French in origin.   A lot of them are quite identifiably Australian in origin, in fact.  They even have real indexes!!     

It's been around these 'ere parts for well over two years now SB.  Although, it does seem to be getting more and more like the real thing as time goes by.  Personally I hate the stuff, but it is my husband's favourite dessert and when he first saw a rhubarb crumble on the menu a couple of years ago he was delighted and ordered it.  Needless to say, it bore little resemblance to what we know as rhubarb crumble.  However, the last one he had, an apple one in Avranches, was pretty close to the real thing!

Don't I know Croombelle is about!

Once when my folks were over in UK, I took them to visit Yorkshire. It was September time and on our many walks we found blackberries, windfall pears etc... The cottage we stayed at was not blessed with kitchen equipment such a rolling pins, pastry tins etc... for making elaborate French patisseries!...so I resorted to teach my Mother how to make crumble! Couldn't be simpler that in fact her Granddaughter then aged 9 showed her how to do it!

Heavens! Every time I go home and there is a big gathering of the French clan : what is on the menu for pudding !! .... croombelle de fraises, croombelle de pêches, de pommes, de framboises... I am of seeing it!!

My main complaint with french crumble is that it's generally served cold. The other problem is that the layer of fruit is often quite thin.

An embarrassing moment at the end of year meal in July. One of the English staff had made crumble and it was proudly presented to me. Apart from being cold (which was understandable, she'd made it before coming to school) she had pushed the "crumble" down flat. it was more like a non returned tarte tatin than a crumble.

I'm pleased to read that in other parts of France, they've at least worked out it doesn't have to be apples. (not that you'll get much rhubarb crumble I expect)

Hi

Carrefour / Champion have a range of foreign foods. They come in green packs and are labelled delices du monde, or some such. They seem to be imported from the country concerned.

Included in the range are : Amaretto macaroons, Crispy Peking Duck, assorted dim sum, Apple crumble, lemon curd, Salt & Vinegar crisps, Shortbread, crumpets, etc

They used to have English best back bacon (smoked or cured) but it vanished with foot & mouth and hasn't returned.

Peter

Had a few in France over the years.

Worst attempt at crumble aux pommes was at a Relais near Limoges in the mid 90's, it was actually a rectangular cake and on top was a tepid pure white, with a hint of jaune, creme anglais!

One of the best was a hotel near Boulogne, not surprisingly really, as the chef was English but the mostly French clientele loved it, as well as the French patron.

Best in France for me, well it has to be the boss's. I always sneak on a boule of vanilla ice cream and for a while I am back in London, having Sunday dinner......!

Another dessert that we have found our clientele love is "Gateaux Victoria" and on occasion Crumble aux poire or even treacle pudding.

How long until the old spotted Dick becomes as popular as well ?

• 3 weeks later...

The French love English desserts.  In my village most of them would sell their soul for my sticky toffee pudding!!  They have never experiencedtextures and flavours like our puddings - let's give us a pat on the back for our cooking

The other day I had a French couple staying here for dinner and I overhead them say - "an English woman that can cook". 

When you talk to French people about English cuisine they have this image of "pudding" and jelly and dry roast beef. Why, I don't know, because personally a good old english meal beats Confit de Canard any day!