Corriander

Georgina

I was very disappointed with the fresh corriander I bought from the supermarket,  it was totally tasteless. I used to get a big bunch from the local Indian shop for about 50p, so it's hitting me hard to pay £1 for three useless bits of stalk.  Any advice you curry makers please? My curry is suffering. It needs to be fresh.

There was a spice shop opened in the town Morlaix which closed due to a dispute.  Anyone know if it opened elsewhere -   I was gutted.  The market on Saturdays does not produce anything that I have seen expect little spices in pathetic looking specimen packs and the only shop I have seen sells Chinese herbs mostly.

Georgina

Buy a packet of seeds

I planted out a packet in a row of the veg patch during the summer and have had loads, it just keeps on coming. You could plant in a pot but I have found that they do far, far better if planted out in the open ground - cover with a cloche come the frosts.

Any local seed supplier should have them or you could get them mail order. The variety I bought was called 'Slobolt' (a variety slow to bolt to seed, unsurprisingly!).

Thanks for that Fantine, I will definitely plant some next year.

And SB, where do you find those? I have seen only black people selling colourful clothes. Anyone know any in Finistere? I think I would travel miles, you can freeze corriander so not a problem.

Georgina

Get some seeds, grow some in a pot and some in the ground or buy a plant from the garden centres if you can find any, then let it go to seed and the wind spread mine over my patch and I've got 5 or 6 really good coriander plants in different spots of garden now. I picked a huge bunch to go on top of my curry last night. Delish

It's a great shop and you can get coriander seed but she doesn't sell fresh herbs.

I've been growing my own all summer - just keep on sowing every 3 weeks or so because it goes to seed very quickly when the weather is warm. What a delight to have as much coriander as I want as I can't afford to buy those pathetic little packets for nearly €2.

[quote]It's a great shop and you can get coriander seed but she doesn't sell fresh herbs. I've been growing my own all summer - just keep on sowing every 3 weeks or so because it goes to seed very quickly w...[/quote]

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I planted out a variety called Slobolt, just 2 packets at the same time. It has been going since early August, I have been harvesting it regularly and it still hasn't gone to seed. I would thoroughly recommend getting this particular one.

http://homegardenseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Coriander.html