Christmas Eve/Day

cs

Help please,  we shall arrive at our home in North Mayenne early on the 24th December.  I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer !

Are the supermarkets open on the 24th or do I need to bring goodies with me.

What are the tradional Christmas Eve & Christmas Day feasts (won't be there for New Year) and can anyone recommend a good cookery book in english for french dishes.

and.......I only have a cuisinere to cook on (no microwave) which I have yet to use for cooking - only been tested out as heating and very good it is too !! 

As you see I haven't a lot of time on the 24th to make anything elaborate but will have around 8-10 french friends popping in.  Just thinking about it sends me into a panic.

Thanks in advance,     Maria

• 2 weeks later...

God you're brave!!!

I can't be specific about Mayenne (we're in Manche) but certainly in Manche all shops and supermarkets are open as normal on the 24th.  You will also find that small shops will be open until about noon on Christmas Day, ie baker, butchers, greengrocers, fish shops, florists.  However, if you're intending to do a tradional Christmas lunch bring your own parsnips with you from the UK!!!

And what do they do with the hundreds of tons of boxes of chocolates that seem to be on permanent display right in to the New Year, then apart from those that get sold off cheaply (usually out of date !)where do they all go to ? Or are they mostly all display boxes with just the front few boxes edible !

Always wondered about that, funny what one thinks about at Christmas eh !

Miki we have often wondered the same thing as the displays seem to dissappear very quickly once the 1st of Jan has gone and a lot of the different flavours and makes you never ever see during the year anyway until noël. I get sick of chocolates anyway at xmas due to working on the 24th in a belgian chocolatier replenishing all the stock and its open house on how much we eat too!

Many thanks for all your replies, Coco 'brave' stark raving stupid is what I call it and another thought has crossed my mind with all this odd weather we're having the last ferry on the 23rd may be cancelled - that would really do my head in !!!    Maria

[quote]Many thanks for all your replies, Coco 'brave' stark raving stupid is what I call it and another thought has crossed my mind with all this odd weather we're having the last ferry on the 23rd may be ca...[/quote]

CS,

If your cooking facilities are so limited or at least untried.. Cook a big pan of Biriani, meat and rice and vegs found in France... bring all the trimmings with you from UK like the chutneys, poppadums, chipatis, naan breads etc...

I did that one Xmas a couple of years back and it is the best Xmas I EVER had!! My guests were just in a sort of OK mood when arriving, thinking their (mine) turkey won't be as good as ours (theirs) or some kind of other stupid thoughts they may hav had.... A few gins down and curry time came and they were in a different mood then!!

Don't know who won at scrabble or charade but certainly everyone had a good time