Bread making machine

Margie

I have just purchased a Quigg bread making machine. Unfortunately all the loaves I have baked so far have been closer to French style bread than English. Has anyone else purchased this machine or know where I can get recipes from for bread machines? tyia

I,ve just recently bought a Funix one..great bargain at 49.99 euros..and it makes lovely bread, turns out great. Don,t know if you,ve got a Geant near you but they sell recipe books for bread making machines. I always use Francine flour and always use Levure Boulangere powder form. Try making a milk loaf as this is usually light and fluffy. Most big supermarkets with a good book section will have one with the cookery books.

Sometimes you have to adjust slightly the sugar and the salt.

Janey

As Janey I am using Francine flour type 45 and same yeast.

the 5th loaf I made as follows:-

Water 300ml Butter 25g Flour 500g Salt 1 tsp Milk powder 1 and half tbsp Yeast 1pkt.

I omitted sugar as my Hovis recipe says that sugar gives a thicker crust and so far all my loaves have had too hard a crust.

I still can't get a lovely soft loaf like a friend who has a Panasonic breadmaker, my bread is more the conistency of dumplings!

I am newcomer to the bread machine, but my recipe book says the sugar is to feed the yeast. I've cut it back (by a third) and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Could you experienced breadies answer two questions, please?

Has anyone got a good recipe for soda bread?

When I make dough to bake in the oven (for rolls) how long do I bake for and at what temperature?

TIA

Try using Francine's Bread flour; type 45 is very fine and used for pastry making.

I made some hamburger rolls last week; 500g flour made 8 rolls and cooked about 12 minutes at 200°. Next time I'll make a dozen smaller rolls and start checking after 10 mins!

You can find loads of recipes on this site; sorry it's in French.

http://www.forums.supertoinette.com/

I've been making bread for years and never use a machine. I don't think the extra work is excessive.The actual manual work takes about 10 minutes and you can produce 4 loaves instead of one. Francine bread flours are very good but are the normal low-gluten french flour with additives. For tradional "english" bread buy strong flour made from canadian wheat and make up with fresh yeast. It's possible to buy both in France. Pat.

[quote]I have just purchased a Quigg bread making machine. Unfortunately all the loaves I have baked so far have been closer to French style bread than English. Has anyone else purchased this machine or know...[/quote]

I have a Panasonic, using French flour (Francine mixed 50/50 with cheaper T65 flour).

I always put the yeast at the bottom, cover it by the flour, then sugar and salt in different corners and water on top of the flour to avoid early contact with the yeast, as it tends to give a "cakey" bread.

I use either olive oil or butter when I want a richer taste (oil dries the bread faster I think).

Clair

Margie, try this recipe for milk bread..pain au lait, makes  a nice breakfast bread.

300ml milk,50g butter,1.5 teaspoons salt, 30g sugar, 500g Francine farine pain, 1pkt Francine levure boulangere.

Put ingrediants in machine  in order as written, make a tiny hole in the flour and add the levure and then cover it, also cut butter up into small peices . Choose programme pain normal or sucree.

This is one for Raisin bread and it is gorgeous, especially toasted with butter and jam..

275 ml milk,30g butter, 1 teaspoon of salt(slightly less) 1 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 500g Francine farine multicereals, 1 pkt Francine levure boulangere, 75g dry raisins.

again put ingrediants in order as written, don,t put the raisins in untill the machine has given you the signal for adding things. Mine starts and then after a few minutes you hear a few beeps and that,s when you can add raisins, nuts etc. Choose programme pain rapide, croustillante.

Good luck, Janey