Water Cress

Viv

Is that the stuff that little kids used to grow in used egg shells on the window sill for egg sandwiches etc

The stuff I'm after is the much bigger leaved type that I can for watercress soup etc. In the UK it was sold prepacked in bags next to the salad leaves, but I've never seen it sold in France.

Thanks for that, I had already resigned myself to having grow coriander ( rather than pay for the poor excuse that is french coriander) . Hopefully now I won't have to make some room for watercress  in the veggie plot also.

Hi there.   You can grow quite an acceptable substitute for watercress in the form of a plant called Land cress or American cress.  It's grown from seed and matures quickly into a nice clump - has the same taste as watercress.  It doesn't need the damp conditions that watercress requires. I get seeds from Chiltern Seeds in the U.K., but I'm sure seeds must be available from various other sources.

Mary

One thing to bear in mind is that whereas in England you can go into any branch of Sainsburys and buy watercress all year round, in La France profonde you may well only find it when it is locally in season.

As buying and eating fresh produce out of season seems even stranger than not eating meat to the locals round here, our local shops seem to take the concept to extremes by only selling frozen peas when fresh ones are in season (though you can get frozen mixed petit pois and carrots all the time) .

There are plenty of places to buy watercress near us, mainly at smallholdings rather than supermarkets.   Recently I was just south of Paris and came across a huge watercress farm.   You probably need to look around a bit but I am sure you will find it without any problem

Wow Will, this thing with seasonal stuff is certainly not the thing where I live. Patates are from Egypt or Morroco a lot of the time, haricots verts are often from Africa, usually Kenya. In fact we always have lots of african produced stuff. It must get bought as it is always on sale, I don't buy it. I'm even fussy about the provenance of my bananas.  

Yes TU, to be fair they are getting better, particularly where fruit is concerned, but the older locals are very conservative about seasons. Strange, from a region that eats cow stomach, pig intestine and raw shellfish out of choice.

I'm a watercress fan too. Please be careful if you're picking watercress in the wild.

It can be contaminated with liver fluke. As a child I was banned by mother from eating the stuff which grew in the local stream. It can turn your duck eggs a funny colour too.

Hoddy