English Restaurant

alece

Looks liek I have started a bit of a debate here. Well most of the response seems to be fairly optimistic which can only be a good thing. Suppose the proofs in the pudding as the saying goes. Certainly got some food for thought from the comments, Sorry for the bad puns couldn't help myself but you get the picture.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thre's a Brit owned restaurant about 15 miles from us and very good it is too. However, they serve traditional French plat du jour 6 days a week, as well as a quite adventurous (but French) a la carte menu.  They say that they know they would go out of business if they tried to serve British food, even though it's quite a touristy little town in the summer.  On Friday nights they have now decided to introduce fish and chips and have found that their clientele is about 50/50 French/British.  The French are the local notaire, vet, GP etc, apparently the local ouvriers won't entertain the idea of trying British fayre but the French middle class think it's quite "chic" to have something British.  You now have to book in advance to get a seat, but it is only one evening per week.  That's 1/11th of their opening times.  They have started to introduce a few Brit dishes - steak and kidney pud and the like to their a la carte and some of the French are starting to try it.  They seem to be going from strength to strength, so this may be the way to go.

On a totally different matter:

There is a fish and chip van that does the rounds here, as Dick Smith often tells us, but we've never got round to trying that either.

I have heard (but can't confirm that it's true) that the fish and chip van has been temporarily put out of business by the gendarmes.  Apparently he is fully registered but he has been advertising British artisans, not all of whom are registered, and the gendarmes, who are clamping down on "black" workers in mid and south Manche have told him they will be contacting him again if they find that he has been promoting any proven "black" workers.

I am afraid I feel as negative about this as most of the other postings. AFAIK we don't have any english places around here but there are so called Irish bars or restaurants. In this case it comes almost to the same thing except that there is a lot of goodwill towards Irish things here in Brittany which doesn't necessarily apply to English. We went in an Irish pub recently, the nearest thing I have come to a pub in 6 years here, with bar food. The special of the day was, of course, Irish stew. We chose it, none of the other customers did so far as I could see, although a number asked what it was (it wasn't very good btw). This place is in a large town and attracts office workers although it wasn't very busy. I cannot imagine something like this, or a more formal restaurant would get much trade at all, if it were not in a big place with a high proportion of youngish people.

The French have a very traditional way of eating and lunch is paramount. It will be a set meal of 3 or 4 courses and may include wine. In the week it will be about 10 to 12€ and if the car park is jammed full of lorries, vans and cars from 11 45 onwards the proprietors are probably doing OK. They may well not open in the evening. I agree that some of these meals are not all that good, but I have had quite a number that were both well prepared and excellent value for money.

French people who have visited England always remark on the thick greasy chips, meat served with jam and would not touch british beef with a barge pole. I cannot imagine any restaurant that plays up its Englishness is going to get the customers through the door.

I bought a chilled Lamb Roggan Josh in the supermarket the other day, when I read the labelling I noticed that is was 'elaboré en Angleterre'. Now that could be a niche market! As these things go it was very good.

Liz (29)

I think that good food can transcend countries/ cultures etc.

If you can produce good ( British) food at a fair price, then go for it.

Yes, the French may need 're-educating' but with good PR etc,I think it could work. Look how Gary Rhodes has transformed British food in recent years.

I do think, the Brits/ Aussies, US are more willing to try 'fusions' and adapt their recipes to current tastes / trends, whereas the French think they have it cracked and it cannot possibly be improved upon!

The French concession to multi- culturisn is cous cous- what's all that about? tastes like bl**dy Trill in my opinion!

One problem which can be faced by anybody opening a business catering to English tastes in an area of France with the necessary reasonably high British population is the way that some people are determined to put obstacles in your way. I am not referring to French bureaucrats, though they have a pretty good try, but to some of your fellow countrymen.

We have seen many examples of rumours being started, and gleefully circulated, saying that your business has failed, or your premises wrecked, or you have been closed down by officialdom, we have heard of advertising being removed or defaced - etc etc. I fail to understand why English businesses should cause such ill feeling, but they do. We see less extreme examples on this forum occasionally. I can only imagine it is either jealousy or a desire by some to retain what they see as their personal corner of France.

Sorry to bring this up, but one has to be realistic.

I totally agree with Will as well, all I can say is if you want to open a resturant go for it! 

Incorperate basic French dishes as well as English dishes and if they are cooked well and served well with a good variety of dishes in nice setting why shouldn't it work!

You have as much chance as the other resturants and the french may be pleasently suprised that there are good english traditional foods that are cooked and served well, and anyway what have you got to lose! our french guests love our English food and breakfasts, and don't let people put you off or bring you down you have to make a living somehow and why not use the skills you have, everyone else does!

I agree that many french resteraunts serving 3 courses for 10-12 euros are very poor, but someone must patronise them or how could they stay open?

People with luncheon vouchers!  

After a very good 11-euro place up north on holiday, I thought I'd give a local 11-euro place a try. 

Up north - nice salad starter, lovely piece of steak for main course, real cheese course, crummy dessert, then coffee.  Full bottle of wine.  Run by a family, very pleasant altogether.

Down here -  buffet starter, fried chicken bits and chips for main course, then cheese OR dessert.  Cheese course was one small, pre-wrapped triangle of Camembert.  Small carafe of red wine.   I didn't want wine and asked if I could have a coffee instead - you'd think I'd asked if I could look up her skirt!   "Non!  C'est pas possible!"  she barked, then flounced off.      

We were the only ones who paid cash in there, the rest all had luncheon vouchers.  Suddenly the existence of bad restaurants started to make sense! 

Maybe because we live in a rural part of a poorish dept our €11 restos seem to offer better value or maybe we have lower expectations ? I have not seen anyone paying with LVs but that proves nothing. What you get for yr money varies though

1. Resto in local town of 2 restos - 5 courses + wine + coffee but the soup is no better than mediocre

2. resto in local town of 2 restos - 5 course + coffee with wine extra, excellent soup and food tends to be better than 1

3. Favourite resto 40 mins away - 5 course + coffee + really all the wine you can handle, food fabulous

But to return to the topic of this thread, why wouldn't a restaurant serving good food, well cooked at competitive prices attract the customers ? I know that English food is alleged to have a bad reputation but if the place is named and advertised without stressing Englishness the punters wouldn't know till they were inside, would they ?

John

not

I was thinking along the lines of watercress and Stilton soup followed a sorbet then by Roast Pheasant with bread sauce and roasted seasonal vegetables, then bread and butter pudding or cheeseboard. Tea & coffee. I must admit I wouls stock to French Wines just because i prefer them, but its the cuisine that important.

Alece, with a menu like that I think you should " go for it"

I am sure the French would like a menu with such delights. Perhaps the secret would be to not put too much emphasis on the English dishes to begin with, just put them on the menu with both French and English names.

Isn't Bread and Butter pudding called Pain Perdu in France? (or have I got that wrong

When and where are you thinking of opening the restaurant?

Gill

Le Pudding is the left over old bread that is made up rather like a bread and butter pudding. Often with rum in it which doesn't help.

Pain perdu is what my friends would have called dippy bread... my mother wouldn't make such a thing. It is thick bread dipped in an eggy sugary mix and fried in butter and is what french toast is.

There is a difference between the two. Although the basic ingredients are pretty similar........ Le Pudding could be used as foundation for a buidling or ballast though.

I would not have expected anything like bread and butter pudding if I had ordered pain perdu and would have rather hoped that I would have been  french toast which the americans have taken as their own and in general is delicious over there. Can't see the french making it as well as the americans actually.

ps When I use the word 'pudding' my french friends always think of the specific thick stodge recipe that they serve up. I just tell them that it means dessert in english and a word I prefer to use to dessert.

And if anyone has had one that was good, well good for you. In 24 years I haven't.

Viva I make one without dried fruit, where I spread very thickly my homemade lemon curd on the bread and butter, usually on both sides of the bread. When I serve it hot it souffles a bit and is delicious. And strangley no one ever seems to realise it is a bread and butter pudding.

well our family for one will be travelling to your resturant now and again to sample your olde english fayre, do you have a b and b near you  cos we like to stay the night on our travels  and like to sample resturants within walking didtances of bandbs

cheers

Alece

I think you have to have a french name calling it The Red lion or John Bull wouldn't be a good idea. Something like Le Gronards an unusual name as there are lots of Cafe du Midi's, Resteraunts Centres etc about. But I agree with all thats gone before go for it, good food will always be popular. Best of luck.

Arthur

Back to Pain Perdu:

Slice of brioche, dipped in beaten egg, icing sugar and cream and fried in butter, served topped with pan-fried fruit such as peaches, nectarine or strawberries.  One of the more popular desserts I offer at our B&B - but most definitely NOT bread and butter pudding!!

SB - is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

Rocky Mountain Oysters (Montana Tendergroin)

2 pounds bull testicles (lamb/sheep, calf or turkey testicles can also be used)

1 cup flour

1/4 cup cornmeal

1 cup red wine

salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Louisiana Hot Sauce

hog lard (cooking oil can be substituted)

Split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each "oyster." (use a sharp knife) You can also remove the skin easily if the "oysters" are frozen and then peeled while thawing. Set into a pan with enough salt water to cover them for one hour to remove some of the blood and drain.

Transfer to large pot. Add enough water to float "oysters" and a generous tablespoon of vinegar. Parboil, drain and rinse. Let cool and slice each "oyster" into 1/4 inch thick ovals. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced "oyster" to taste.

Mix flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste in a bowl. Roll each slice into this dry mixture. Dip into milk. Dip into dry mixture. Dip into wine quickly (repeat the procedure for a thicker crust).

Place into hot cooking oil.

Add Louisiana Hot Sauce to cooking oil (it'll sizzle some, so be careful!). Cook until golden brown or tender, and remove with a strainer (the longer they cook, the tougher they get).

Isn't the internet wonderful? I didn't even know that turkeys have testicles...

French friends told me that the man of the house was going to eat the coq's testicles when they prepared us a vrai coq au vin. To this day I don't know whether they were kidding and I still prefer making this dish with a good poulet de bresse...... which I take would never usually have testicles to start with.