Easy fudge / chocolate truffle recipe needed please

Viv

Daughter's friends are coming round next week and thought we could do a bit of pre christmas sweetie making.

Has any one got any fool proof recipes for fudge, chocolate truffles or yule logs that I can make [cheaply] with ingredients that are easily obtainable from l'eclerc?- eg not sure if I can get condensed milk for my only fudge recipe.

Thanks in advance[:)]

Next to the milk and creams usually, longlife, although I had to think about that as I never buy fresh milk. It can come in tubes, small tins and large tins. Makes, well only Nestle springs to mind but I just buy what is on offer. The same rayon sells evaported milk too.

I saw a recipe for a yule log in the Rustica magazine. You cut up some

spice bread into small dice. Then make a mixture of melted chocolate,

cream and eggs and combine with the spice bread. Put into a loaf mould

lined with clingfilm and chill in fridge overnight. Didn't fancy it

really, but it might be ok. Serve with creme anglaise.  Pat.

I too was wondering how to make truffles as double cream seems non-existant in France. I have made a Delia Smith recipe for truffles which was fab but alas i am unable to locate it now - you may be able to find in on the web if you are really interested, i do remeber it used double cream and grated chocolate and obviously a taster of something warming if required.

Kate

Mentioning Delia there was a repeat of one of her old programmes on Sky

the other day and she made a chocolate truffle torte: crumble 3 oz

amaretto biscuits and put in base of a lined tin. Then put 1lb of dark

chocolate, 5tbs of liquid glucose and 5tbs of dark rum into a bowl and

melt over hot water. Lightly whip 1 pint of double cream and fold into

the chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into the tin, cover with

clingfilm and chill for at least 7 hours. Turn out and sprinkle with

sieved cocoa. Pat.

Golden Syrup works just as well as glucose syrup in this recipe, and is far more easily obtainable (in the UK that is!).
However, if you are in France you might have a go-ahead supermarket with an "exotic foreign foods" section.  Failing that, why not get British friends to bring you supplies of it when they come.  It keeps for ages...

Angela (UK and 85)

I have found a recipe on wanadoo.fr for chocolate truffles that I am going to try, this does use creme fraiche. Unfortunately my fudge was fudged! Is lait Entier the same as Condensed milk or evaporated milk? I didn't use nestle but the brand I did use was very runny and I just could not get it up to the right temperature on my electric hob. The fudge is in the fridge but I don't hold out much hope- may have to use it on icecream instead.[:)]

[quote user="Patf"]Mentioning Delia there was a repeat of one of her old programmes on Sky the other day and she made a chocolate truffle torte: crumble 3 oz amaretto biscuits and put in base of a lined tin. Then put 1lb of dark chocolate, 5tbs of liquid glucose and 5tbs of dark rum into a bowl and melt over hot water. Lightly whip 1 pint of double cream and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture into the tin, cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 7 hours. Turn out and sprinkle with sieved cocoa. Pat.[/quote]

This is my 'party piece' - I have had requests to make it several times, once instead of birthday cake. However although I suspect that golden syrup would work, its an exceptionally rich recipe even without it - it should come with a health warning [:)]

PS You can buy liquid glucose at the chemist

Entier is  full milk.

Demi ecreme is semi skimmed

Ecreme is skimmed, only when I first moved to France I guessed that ecreme must mean creamy, how wrong I was.

Condensed milk is Lait concentre and if I wasn't so tired what evap is called would come to me. Also I would also chose the entier in the lait concentre, rather than say, semi skimmed.

Condensed milk is Lait concentre and if I wasn't so tired what evap is called would come to me. Also I would also chose the entier in the lait concentre, rather than say, semi skimmed.

Evaporated and condensed are both called "lait concentré" the difference is that evaporated is "non sucré" and condensed is "sucré"