Chutney

Patf

Just finished the last jar of chutney that I made last summer. I think

the main ingredient was courgette. It cerainly improves with keeping -

this last jar was a really rich deep brown. Any suggestions for making

chutney with currently available fresh fruit or vegetables? I once made

orange chutney which was very good. Any other ideas?  Pat.

Having just seen some delicious-looking exotic fruit in SuperU, I am tempted to make some mango chutney. I can pass on the recipe if you would like. I also have recipes for marrow chutney and rhubarb & ginger chutney.

The only thing I don't seem to be able to find over here are mustard seeds. Is it me or are they hard to find? I can't even find any amongst the plant seeds in the Brico shops, or cress seeds for that matter. Has anyone seen any?

If you can't find the mustard seeds in the supermarkets, if you try an "épicerie fine" in any large town you should probably be able to find some.  There was an épices site mentioned somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it.

If you give your recipes, can you post them for all of us, please...   [:P]

(we're all greedy!)

• 3 weeks later...

Have rather belatedly read this thread.  I think I can safely say I am the chutney queen of  Deux-Sèvres. I have currently in my storecupboard, elderberry, cherry, nectarine, banana, aubergine, orange& lemon, fig, mirabelle, plum, green tomato, dowerhouse and prune chutnies. I also have a wide range of relishes & pickles. I love making these and would be happy to share any recipe. 

Luckily, I live close enough to a weekly market where there is a regular stall selling exotic spices, amongst which I found nigella seeds - excellent in the aubergine chutney!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in replying. 

Lezay market - held every Tuesday. The spice lady comes from Celle sur Belle and has a stall at Lezay 1st and 3rd Tuesdays and will also do mail order. I think she also goes to Chef Boutonne and maybe one or two others.

Dowerhouse chutney is made from tomatoes, plums and apples, as well as the basic onions etc. Would you like the recipe?

What do you folk eat all that chutney *with*?

Not being facetious - I'd really like to know.  I only ever think of it with cold meat, but I don't seem to eat that much of it - or at least don't remember to get out the ancient pots of chutney languishing at the back of the cupboard when I do...

Angela

This chutney is very quick and easy to make if you have a pressure cooker. I’ve made it several times. The amounts of fruit and veg are not critical and you can increase or decrease the amount of spices to taste.

Tomato and Apple Chutney (Pressure cooker)

1 kg tomatoes - cut into quarters

250g onions – chopped

500g apples – cored, peeled and chopped

2 cloves garlic – crushed

400 ml red wine vinegar

500 g sugar

Handful of sultanas or stoned dates

level teaspoon ground ginger

half level teaspoon cayenne

Put all ingredients except sugar, ginger and cayenne into pressure cooker. Make sure it’s not more than half full, cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.  Reduce pressure at room temperature.

Stir in sugar and spices, heat gently till sugar is dissolved.  Bring to boil and cook fairly rapidly to reduce and thicken the chutney – about 20 minutes.  Pour into jars. 

Bernice.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Loiseau"]

What do you folk eat all that chutney *with*?

Not being facetious - I'd really like to know.  I only ever think of it with cold meat, but I don't seem to eat that much of it - or at least don't remember to get out the ancient pots of chutney languishing at the back of the cupboard when I do...

Angela

[/quote]

Cheese and pickle sandwiches, of course!