Julienne - great for fish and chips!

Beryl

I know this has nothing to do with French food but I just fancied some fish and chips (UK) style yesterday and I bought Julienne having never tried it before.

It was delicious and I don't know why UK chip shops don't try it as an alternative to cod or is julienne as rare?

I found this super easy batter recipe for deepfrying and it made for a lovely crisp batter, so if anyone fancies a change, I would be happy to let anyone have it by PM.

I don't know what Beryl's recipe is, but mine is self-raising flour, a pinch of salt and enough lager to make a thickish batter - whisk all together and leave to stand for half an hour. Sprinkle the fish with lemon juice and season before dipping in the batter and dropping into very hot oil, cook until golden.

50g / 2oz SR Flour

50g / 2oz cornflour

1 tablespoon of oil

1/4 pint cold water

Salt

1 egg white beaten to peaks

Mix all the ingredients together EXCEPT the egg white. The recipe states that the batter should stand to an hour before you fold in the egg white, but because I wasn't organised I folded the egg  white in straight away.

This easily provided enough batter for 3 good sized pieces of fish.

I will substitute the water for lager next time .

I put a load of the cheapest plain white flour in a bowl, a little salt and pepper and a good pinch of bicarb and slowly pour in cold water as I mix and when it gets to the consistancy of thickly coating the back of my spoon it is done.

As with any batter though, very hot oil is the key.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

It's Ling and they do, don't they in some places.

Is 'ling' 'cat fish'?

[/quote]

It's a close relative of the cod, and it can be used to replace cod in

virtually any recipe except those were the large-flake texture of

cooked cod is important. Pollock (lieu jaune not lieu noire,

which is coalfish, I think, and not at all nice in any recipe I've

found so far) can be used in much the same way and is also generally

far cheaper than cod.

Yes, thanks for the batter recipes - my deep fat frier is coming out of storage in a few weeks as the new kitchen will soon be usable, so very timely.

Thanks too, Jond, for the translation of lieu jaune and lieu noir, I've been looking everywhere for them. I discovered the other week that Julienne was Ling and yes it is lovely, although isn't Ling rather looked down on in the UK.  Julienne wrapped in parma ham and served in a tomato sauce is lovely too.

Also discovered that St Pierre is John Dory, which everyone probably knows anyway.  Does anyone know what Doreé is in English though?