Gammon with peaches

Miggimeggi

I am a bit embarrasses posting this message after the various remarks on another post re: 70's recipes - but I am going to post it anyway!

I am rather fond of retro-ish food like Avocado Ritz, Chicken Maryland, Mixed Grills, Filet Steak Rossini and, of course,  Gammon with Peaches.  Unfortunately, gammon (cured & smoked) is almost impossible to obtain here in France so I have been a bit deprived lately.  However, late last week in L'Clerc I found a product called Roti Saumure Fumé which was a cured, smoked boneless pork loin, as the name states, for roasting.  I took home a piece about a kilo & a half and cut off a couple of thick steaks, fried them and put them in the warmer then put some canned peaches in the same pan along with some of the syrup.  I let the whole lot caramelise and poured it over the "mock gammon".  It was really scrummy with some of this seasons new potatoes and some haricots plats.  It was thick enough to stay moist inside and neither oversalted nor oversmoked and tasted very good.  It is the first time I have ever seen it but will certainly look for it again.

Anyone else still hankering for those old flavours?

Anne

Why be embarrassed - if you like it, why shouldn't you have it.  Good for you!  Not keen on fruit with meat myself (although my husband likes it) but the joint sounds good.  I'll look for it next time I'm in there.  Thanks for the tip. [:D]

Lynda