Strange inedible bits...

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Out cycling, stopped at a resto and ordered the 10euro menu...

Main dish, Quail/Caille on a bed of packet mash...

My mate opened his out to find sausage meat (tasty) and internal organs (suprised!)

Being an adventurous fellow he spears a likely looking item, round with a gristle tube...

He cuts it in half and pops it into his mouth only to spit it out with a loud retching noise so that the whole place turned to stare then laugh... including me...

It turns out it was the 'gesier' or 'gizzard'...

a delicacy normally but this one was full of its 'dernier repas'...The poor birds last meal!

So foul in fact that he drunk a whole bottle of wine in order to cleanse the palate and failed to ride in a straight line for the rest of the day...

Reminds me of the mystery meat curries from the place in Settle that closed when the wrong animal remains where found in its bins...

Weirdly, in restaurants quail often seem to be served "nature", with neck, feathered head and all internal organs in place.

I remember staying with a French family in the 1960s and all the family's children squabbling over the roast chicken's head (it was also served in the style above), saying things like "It's not fair, you had the brains last time!" etc...  [+o(]

Angela

[quote user="Ty Korrigan"] My mate ...Being an adventurous fellow he spears a likely looking item, round with a gristle tube...
[/quote]

Ty, Ty, I wonder how many people read past this...[:-))] oh, sorry, that should have been a [:'(]

I went off out of the ordinary dishes years ago when "something" round and small and grey was served up in front of me in Spain. I asked the waiter what it was and he patted his head - brains apparently,but whose I asked and he had no idea.

We kill and eat our own chickens and I always put the gizzard in the roasting tin too. But we discard the sack that contains the maize of the last meal. Today husband found a large perfect egg inside. Pat.