Range Cookers

Gabe

Any advice,

We move to France in January and after 4 years wait we are finally getting a new range cooker. What I would like is any advice on what and where to buy in or around Auch/Tarbes (32), or by internet in France. There are those brands which we just will not be able to afford, but any advice on models up to about 4,500 euros (preferably less) welcome. We are looking for dual fuel, electric double ovens, bottled gas hob. Particularly interested on views of buying now in UK and bringing with us. There are obvious downsides i.e. warranty issues, but are there any other technical restrictions i.e. burners having to be changed etc.

Any advice welcome.

Gabe

We have a Godin, which we are really happy with, and sounds like it might fit your requirements - bottled gas top and electric oven.  We joined it up with a woodburning model, which did add to the cost, but they do have a pretty wide range.  I did feel that the oven sizes on lots of French models were tiny (about 40l I think) but with Godin if you chose a pyrolese rather than a catalyse version, you could increase your oven space.

Our local distributer in France was fantastic - came out for a full consultation, they had a showroom with models (not all Godin) and installed it all for us.  I can't see that the price between buying in the UK and France would be that different - especially when you have all the the expense and hassle of carting it over and installing it and not having easy access to after sales.

By the way, we only got charged 5.5% TVA on the entire cooker rather than 17.5% as with a woodburning oven, it qualifies for the tax discount...I was very pleasantly surprised with that!

http://cuisine.godin.fr/ and also in the UK  www.godin-cookers.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Gabe

We bought a UK range cooker - Falcon make - in France, so comes complete with warranties etc. It is dual fuel - gas hob, twin electric oven and gas grill. We had full choice of colours, and was delivered in two weeks from our local electrical / white goods retailer. We liked it 'cos doors open sideways, not drop-down, and it has a grill! Cost under €2000.

Have also seen other UK makes in the shops, so they are available here.

Warren

pangur

tried sending you a private email but don't think that worked.  would like to know more about how you acquired your godin.  i have it in mind to buy a godin chatelaine pyrolese model

have been quoted some 7300 euros including installation and extractor hood and wondering if it's worth trying another shop to see if i can get it at a better price

did you buy from a dealer or direct from the manufacturer

any advice would be greatly appreciated

We bought straight from a local dealer and paid a little under €7k for a petite chatelaine joined with a bois charbon chatelaine, including installation, delivery, joining together and VAT.   We paid about €400 for delivery and installation. Your quote does sound like a lot for one cooker, but perhaps you've gone for one of the biggest chatelaines.  If you have other dealers in the area, it's probably worth getting some other quotes. 

We didn't go for the extractor hood, as we already had a standard one and really didn't think it was worth paying so much for a matching one, and to be honest we weren't that taken with the designs: they're very big.  Did you get a breakdown of prices?  I think the hood is well over €2k so you could economise a lot on that.

Re Falcon Cookers. I have trade accounts in UK but have found,after a member's advice, that Gitem have given me a good price, without the problem of bringing a 120kg box from UK, plus the gaurantee problems. They deliver +change burners+2 years Gaurantee.

Regards. 5mins St.Malo.

pangur

i am most grateful.  i will investigate further when i am in france next month.  i WAS offered 15% discount if i do not need installation so it might be worthwhile for me to see if someone else other than the dealer can install it for less than 15% of 7000 euros!

will look at your combination with the wood option if that means less VAT as well.  i do think i need the hood however because we have nothing at the moment and i am told that these range cookers can generate a lot of heat and steam and that an efficient extractor system is essential

so pleased you posted this message because i can now go to the shop armed with your figures! 

For what it's worth, Falcon is the overseas version of Rangemaster, made by Aga.

Of course, Lacanche, reckoned by many to be the Rolls-Royce of ranges, is French.

Make sure your French electrical supply is up to it if considering one of these large appliances in electric or dual fuel version - because of this limitation even conventional double ovens are comparatively rare in France.