Quinoa?

Gardian

Its a south american grain in vogue at the moment thanks to progs such as you are what you eat.

I bought a fairtrade box of it from leclerc earlier this year, when I was on my New Year Health kick, but fell off the wagon before I even opened the packet  [:$]

From what I gather its a fairly bland grain but will take on the flavours of whatever its cooked in. I might try in a casserole or stew just to use it up.

From Larousse Gastronomique Quinoa is:

"Seeds of Chenopodium quinoa , a plant cultivated by the South American Incas for the leaves and seeds...The seeds are also grown to a small extent in USA and GB...Quinoa is used as a grain or milled to produce a variety of products including flours for baked goods, breakfast cereals and animal feed.

It's gluten free too.

Tried it once, didn't like it. If you need some, I've still got half a packet. Tried to make it take on the taste of something else but it managed to manfully cling onto its blandness in spite of my efforts. In fact, for me, it has a blandness which manages, rather than it taking on the flavours around it, to leech the flavour out of everything else.[+o(]

I eat red and white varieties of quinoa every day in my own mix of muesli. I toast 10% to get a better flavour. Also have hemp seed, linseed, sesame, millet, white poppy seeds plus various nuts and oats not forgetting semi-dried prunes and apricots.

A bowl of this keeps you going until afternoon tea.

Also use quinoa in veggie sausages.

The fairtrade chocolate with crunchy quinoa is excellent - Auchan sell it.

[quote user="Croixblanches"]Tried to make it take on the taste of something else but it managed to manfully cling onto its blandness in spite of my efforts. In fact, for me, it has a blandness which manages, rather than it taking on the flavours around it, to leech the flavour out of everything else.[+o(][/quote]

Spot on Croixblanches!!!!! Disgusting stuff!![+o(][+o(]

Kathy

[quote user="Dog"]I eat red and white varieties of quinoa every day in my own mix of muesli. I toast 10% to get a better flavour. Also have hemp seed, linseed, sesame, millet, white poppy seeds plus various nuts and oats not forgetting semi-dried prunes and apricots. A bowl of this keeps you going until afternoon tea.[/quote]

No, no, please.  I give up.

(What's for afternoon tea?  Not more quinoa?)