These Curry Kits are fantastic or ill eat my hat

Tim_Quincaillerie

I love Indian food and am an addict so I learnt to cook myself before I came here. However, I cannot get the spices here and have to buy in bulk in England or else go to Paris.

The curry kits in my part of town are absolutely dire, just like the bottled stuff. I even wrote to one of the suppliers recently to tell them how awful it was.  They didn't reply! It was the most famous one too beginning with P.

However on a recent visit to England I tried a bottled curry from Asda and it was much better than anything here.  Much improved on the previous stuff they used to sell in England.  It was that famous drunken chef's name (which one I hear you ask). 

Does anyone recall, when we had those packet type chinese that were truly awful in the late 60s, that is how it is here.  The Chinese are even selling watered down versions in the local market.  Yuk.  They are catering for the French palet, I don't think they are adapted to strong tastes, just as we were years ago. 

A good marker I think is that if you cannot pick out the individual flavours and spices, then it is not a good curry.

Georgina

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried one of those online kits from ebay, not bad. But I get the same if not better results using a packet of mild madras curry powder, well not the whole packet. in future when i'm in UK or have friends coming over i'll get them to get me some. The tescos medium madras powder is also very good.

A friend gets me Rajah mild madras powder too which is very good from paris whenever she is there.

[quote user="saddie"]Chilli sauce on a kebab!!  Is there anyone out there who has actually experienced Turksh cuisine? It is generally thought that  most euopean food has been 'flavoured' by the cooking of theOtterman Empire. Is it only me who adores proper Turkish food - I admit it is not easy to get outside Istambul as the Turks will modify their offer towards what they think is the requirement of the customer- hence c***[/quote]

Back in the dark ages (mid-sixties) I travelled with another 8 or so hippy types in a long wheel base Land Rover from London to New Delhi.  Everything was done on the cheap and we ate in very down-market workmens' caffs etc. all the way,  including in Turkey.  In Turkey I remember lots of kebabs on street stalls but in the caffs we ate very well in buffet style where we were served lots of stewed goat dishes and dolma type stuff.  As well as kebabs as we know them,  there was lots of skewered offel, especially hearts (I didn't ask ).  Mostly it was quite scrumptious but then, we were usually very hungry.[:P]