French IHT Married & No children

brodie19

I am having difficulty in wading through all the legislation and websites relating to French succession and inheritance tax.

Would I be correct in saying that the law as it stands, states no tax has to be paid on the death of a spouse in the following circumstances.

My wife and I are soon to be resident in France, although we have not yet purchased a property to be our permanent home.

We do not have any children, either together or by previous relationships. Both of our respective parents are still alive.

Would I be correct in saying that we should purchase our property "en tontine" and obtain French wills, which, like our Scottish wills, leave everything to each other?

Thanks in advance for any good, and current advice.

If you don't have to 'protect' each other from claims on the inheritance from other sources, to buy en tontine just exposes the survivor to up to 60% death duties, instead when you buy make sure your marriage is "communalle" ( spelling? ) then you both own the property in it's entirety and any substantial tax bill is only due on the death of the second partner.[geek] Get yourselves down to a good legal advisor,  there's no substitute for professional advice.[:)]

[quote user="Jo"] to buy en tontine just exposes the survivor to up to 60% death duties

[/quote]

This is news to me, how so?  There is surely (now) no succession tax between spouses? 

[Added whilst Weegie was posting] The problem would come only when the survivor also dies, and to deal with that stage legal and other professional advice might, I agree, be needed.

[quote user="Judith"][quote user="Jo"] to buy en tontine just exposes the survivor to up to 60% death duties

[/quote]

This is news to me, how so?  There is surely (now) no succession tax between spouses? 

[/quote]

and it never was 60% between spouses before the law change.

[quote user="Jo"] Get yourselves down to a good legal advisor,  there's no substitute for professional advice.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

Especially when one sees this when the question refers to spouses:

[quote user="Jo"] to buy en tontine just exposes the survivor to up to 60% death duties[/quote]

[blink] [blink] [blink]

Hi,

I have been off-line for a week , and I am amazed at the extent of the ill-informed mis-information that has been put on this thread!

To get back to the OP's question , with no children , but with living parents ,buying in tontine will pass the house to the surviving spouse WITHOUT ANY INHERITANCE TAX, and for the rest of the spouses' assets a very simple will (which they can write themselves-but should register with a notaire for a small fee) should exclude the parents from their successions , all of which will also pass to the surviving spouse without any tax.

An alternative would be a "donation entre epoux " drawn up by a notaire, in which case a will would not be necessary.He should see a notaire and discuss the respective expense of wills and donation.