Gratin Dauphinoise

Dick Smith

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a gorgeous gratin - cooked according to TU's recipe, except that I forgot to dry the potatoes, but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. One clove of garlic and a good measure of nutmeg, delicious. The potatoes were Vivaldi, which is a new variety to me, that are being promoted by Sainsburys at the moment. The steak was Irish, and that was good, too.

Thanks, TU - I'll get round to the others (except for any containing bl**dy broccoli) in due course...

I just had steak too!  Welsh from Tesco.  Like old leather.  I always say never again from supermarkets but the dragon tempted me.  We have a fantastic farmers shop where they  grow their own cow and lamb about 5 miles away.  Lovely purple well hung meat with lots of basting fat.  AND, cheper than the supermarkets!

Sorry I cannot talk about potato in any form[+o(].  My mother scarred me with her stringy mash and my father did worse by making me eat it.

Twinks - I think that picture says it all...

Our 'proper' butcher does excellent steaks - he cuts them the right size, too, unlike supermarket portions which are always too large. I've been trying to buy meat at better value, and so far a frozen New Zealand leg of lamb and the Irish steak have come up trumps!

I think Ireland and NZ are OK. There are some places I would worry about - ever eaten 'steak' in Russia? I think that the USA are less than squeaky-clean as well.

I want to get hold of some goat and some breasts of veal - my mother used to roast breasts of veal, and they were delicious. My main complaint about supermarkets is that their choice of meats is so restricted and boring.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I want to get hold of some goat and some breasts [/quote]

Please forgive me for quoting you out of context  Dick, but I'm bored![:P]

[/quote]Now that the ABC games have died a death, Twinks, we could start a new "out of context quotes" thread to pass the time.[:)]

My jobby and I do have several as you need different jobbys for different jobs is according to Dicks link a casserole or cocete...never new that! But it is a cheap and cheerful supermarket version. It is just incredibly versatile quite large but with a reasonably  flat bottom. It also lost it's knob which enables it to function in a steamy sort of way or if I fill up the hole then it has pressure cooker characteristics too...Like I say versatile.

I'm a great fan of cast iron cookware it's a pain to lift and shift but cooks like a dream.

Anyway...we had tortilla cooked with potatoes from the shed, onions from lidl and eggs right out of chickens, all cooked in another cast iron jobby that's flatter and wider and lost it's handle which was wood so it goes in the oven as well but it doesn't have a lid...[:)]

[quote user="Garlic"]

a casserole or cocete...

[/quote]

Do you mean a cocotte?

I was pretty intrigued by the term "jobby", especially that when you first mentioned it, I read it to be a "jobby chuck" - new one on me, I thought,  30+ years spent in England and I still have no idea what that is![:D]

Now everything is crystal clear.

I agree with you Garlic, about heavy, cast-iron pans. Great to cook in, hell to lift, especially if you have tennis elbow!

My very oldest Le Creuset, the one I found in a London skip many years ago, also got cracked and is now used as a plant holder... I have another one left though.

More recently I bought a larger, cheaper oval one at Super U, but it really is not quite as good as Le Creuset, which I still see as being  the real McCoy. The Super U one tends to stick more....

[quote user="Just Katie "]

One eel of a cook.

Right enough or we will turn into Miki and Diki.  Bagsy me be the one without the beard.

[/quote]

Bagsy, blimey, that was the alternative to pudding and beef wasn't it ! and yes, TU's recipe or similar with my chef (Tina !) is very nice

And I consider myself bagged, well it's better than living in a box [:)]