Gratin Dauphinoise

Dick Smith

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're now talking sea food on a food thread I will share a dish I whipped up this evening with you!

I think I will call it

CREAMY PRAWN, BACON AND BROCCOLI CRUMBLE

Ingedients

400g of shelled prawns
5 thin slices of bacon
1 sachet of frozen broccoli
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 small onion
10cl of crème fraiche
1 tablespoon of sugar
Salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic
Flour, butter and a handful of parmesan cheese for the crumble.

Fry chopped onion until softened in olive oil and add the crushed garlic.  Add prawns and strips of bacon. Add chopped tomatoes.  Season with salt, pepper and the sugar to take away he acidity of the tomatoes.  Add crème fraiche.  In a pan of boiling salted water cook the broccoli until tender but firm. 

Drain the broccoli and put it into an oven dish.  Pour over creamy prawn and bacon sauce.  Make a crumble with the flour and butter.  Add the parmesan cheese and sprinkle all over.  Into the oven for 15mins and gently grill it 'til golden brown for another 5 mins.

It's a great way to get the kids to eat vegetables.  I use low fat crème fraiche and low fat butter too for the crumble.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Since we're now talking sea food on a food thread I will share a dish I whipped up this evening with you!

I think I will call it

CREAMY PRAWN, BACON AND BROCCOLI CRUMBLE

Ingedients

400g of shelled prawns
5 thin slices of bacon
1 sachet of frozen broccoli
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 small onion
10cl of crème fraiche
1 tablespoon of sugar
Salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic
Flour, butter and a handful of parmesan cheese for the crumble.

Fry chopped onion until softened in olive oil and add the crushed garlic.  Add prawns and strips of bacon. Add chopped tomatoes.  Season with salt, pepper and the sugar to take away he acidity of the tomatoes.  Add crème fraiche.  In a pan of boiling salted water cook the broccoli until tender but firm. 

Drain the broccoli and put it into an oven dish.  Pour over creamy prawn and bacon sauce.  Make a crumble with the flour and butter.  Add the parmesan cheese and sprinkle all over.  Into the oven for 15mins and gently grill it 'til golden brown for another 5 mins.

It's a great way to get the kids to eat vegetables.  I use low fat crème fraiche and low fat butter too for the crumble.

[/quote]

Sounds wonderful - except for the broccoli!

I never pre-cook the spuds for gratin dauphinous or fart about with them at all. Just layer up: garlic (to taste) fine-ish sliced spuds, butter and creme fraiche always cook in a heavy cast iron jobby chuck in oven, leave for ages and when the potatoes are almost just right uncover to brown a bit. ...If I wasn't too lazy to peel potatoes we'd be eating it tonight but I am so it's tortilla instead.

[quote user="Garlic"]I never pre-cook the spuds for gratin dauphinous or fart about with them at all. Just layer up: garlic (to taste) fine-ish sliced spuds, butter and creme fraiche always cook in a heavy cast iron jobby chuck in oven, leave for ages and when the potatoes are almost just right uncover to brown a bit. ...If I wasn't too lazy to peel potatoes we'd be eating it tonight but I am so it's tortilla instead.[/quote]

Does your jobby have a lid, or do you use tinfoil?

For is it not written, 'Too many cooks spoil the broth?'

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Sure! 

But it won't be much of a veg dish.  My kitchen mission is to disguise vegetables attractively so that my daughter will eat them.

[/quote]

Ah, you spotted the snag in my suggestion! My mission is to eat as few veggies as possible and my first thought as an addition was - more prawns!