Rouelle de jambon?

Chrissie

I've just bought a rouelle de jambon (avec os) in the hopes it might turn out like a giant gammon steak......... It looks less and less like gammon the more I look at it.  [+o(]  How should I cook it? 

OH wants to slice it horizontally in two (likes a challenge[;-)])   and fry it/them. 

I think we could egg-and-breadcrumb it and bake/roast it.

Any polite suggestions????

Chrissie (81)

Funnily enough that recipe is rather like one I have for doing a large gammon joint and is usually delicious.  What off-putting pictures they gave though.

It is sadly only too true that the pong of the cooking will invade every nook or cranny of the house though!  Perhaps I could tape up the kitchen door and then shin out of the open window (but given the temperatures here this week, maybe not!)

Thanks as always

Chrissie (81)

In case anyone's interested, this is what I finally did:

1. Seared it in frying pan

2. Simmered it in stock with bayleaves etc and some dry cider, for 15 mins/lb plus 15 mins

3. Roasted it gently as per pork

And.....

It was truly DISGUSTING![+o(]   Tough and tasteless.  Never again!

Chrissie (81)

[:-))] As I said my Dad loves it. He puts it on early morning and leaves it on low all day long and then it is tender. He doesn't seal it or anything, just in the oven with something covering it and he checks that there is a little water in the bottom of the dish regularly.

Can't stand it myself, but lots of people do like it. If I was given a joint, I would make it into sausage meat to be honest.

The women in my family's recipe for rouelle de jambon was to put the rouelle in a large pot, some coarse sea-salt, pepper, bayleaf, thyme, carrots, onions, water to cover, lid on the pot and simmer that for no less than 4 hours. Then add some peeled potatoes and simmer for another 3/4h, add some roughly cut up cabbage and simmer for 1/2h more. The dish was deemed 'cooked' when the strong smell of boiled cabbage pervaded through out the house!!

... and you thought that boiled cabbage was a truly english/british institution ...[;-)]