Tough as old boots!

chilly

I have now officially given up buying the packs of meat from the major supermarkets that are supposed to be used to make the wonderful 'Beouf Bourguignon'....and have decided that the only way to buy tender beef is to get filet or equivalent! Has any one else any suggestions as to why these packs of meat are consistently tough and tasteless. I’ve tried marinating it over night, cooking it for ages etc. I wouldn't mind if it was really cheap but it's not. In the UK I would always have used chuck steak which was infinitely better.

C

I always put any cheap meat in my slow cooker to cook and I cut it into chunks first, normally the bourguignon meat  becomes fall apart tender and I make steak and kidney pies with it. 

There are some cuts that are resistant, have too much gristle and not enough good meat, eg the cheap beef that has the bone in the middle, so I leave those alone.

I never seem to have much luck when buying Beef in France.  It always seems to be tough, not tender.  I've tried many different cuts and tried many different preparations.  I just don't seem to have much luck.  I have better luck with Veal.  When I buy those Bourginone cuts, I know I have to cook them all afternoon for them to be tender.  I actually have better luck with them than the more expensive roasts.  I don't find beef cheap here.  That along with the fact that it always seems tough, means we don't eat much beef here.

What is the equivalent of Prime Rib here?  I never seem to see it when I am in the hypermarches.  Perhaps I just don't recognize it.

I'm so glad you said this.  I thought is was just me! Now I can officially 'come out' and say I have made some pretty awful beef stew with these packs.  Cooked just the same as  in UK (I think) but often tough and tasteless.  I've had a bit more success with the cheap stuff they call 'Steak', you know, not proper steak but the thin bits of meat usually sold 5 pieces to a pack for 5 euros, but still not great.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

When I discussed with my restaurateur neighbour that I was going to cook Boeuf Bourgignon he asked what cut of meat I would be using, I replied "the bouef bourgignon meat in the supermarket".

When he had finished laughing he explained that one can use many cuts of meat (he listed them but I have forgotten).

Mine was reasonably tender, his is nearly always but with one exception, I was also surprised at how little time he cooked it for.

When I cook it again I will buy the meat at a Boucher and ask their advice for the most tender and cooking times.

No I wont I will ask my neighbour!

Before he died at 92 years old, my dad still cooked "Stewmeat and dumplings" at least once a week. He bought stewing steak, but cooked it for 24 hours, in a casserole, in a very slow oven. It literally fell apaprt.

The dumplings were Auntie Bessie's in later years however..........

I wonder if this is a regional problem?  I have been generally very pleased with the meat that I get, whether it's from our local butcher or the butcher departments at Leclerc and Champion.  I usually do have the butcher cut the meat for me, rather than buying things in the packs, although I've done that as well.

When I cook stew or daube, I cook it in a dutch oven on top of the stove on very low heat for a 4 or 5 hours.  If I've used a whole roast, I then slice the whole thing down and let it cook for another hour in the juice. Always comes out very tender and flavorful.

PG

PG

Do you shop at Leclerc in Limoux?  We have bought many packs of beef from there and taken them back home as they are so lovely.

The thing with the bourgegnon packs of meat is that sometimes they will say assortment.  These are usually the promo packs and cheap, but not as nice as the usual ones.  I cook mine for about 4 hours the day before I want to eat it, I'm careful when preparing to remove as much fat and gristle as I can.  It is always delicious, in fact we had it on Monday evening.

Dotty!  Yes, that is the Leclerc that we use!  I know that my friend in Pamiers has not had the same success with the Leclerc she uses there, so it's clearly highly individual.

I'm often suspicious of things on "promo" because I often assume it's stuff they want to get rid of!

PG

Thanks for all those replies, quite a variety!! But I'm still none the wiser as I do all the things that have been suggested (having been a pretty good cook for more years than I care to remember); and yes I do seal the beef first! I can only assume that when I buy it on promo, its low quality..thats the only thing that makes sense, I've cooked it for hours and the day before and marinated it...only thing I havent done is give it to the dog but I reckon she'd spit it out too!!!!

Would love to know what cuts of beef work then that dont cost loads of money?

C

[quote user="Lori"]

I never seem to have much luck when buying Beef in France.  It always seems to be tough, not tender.  I've tried many different cuts and tried many different preparations.  I just don't seem to have much luck.  I have better luck with Veal.  When I buy those Bourginone cuts, I know I have to cook them all afternoon for them to be tender.  I actually have better luck with them than the more expensive roasts.  I don't find beef cheap here.  That along with the fact that it always seems tough, means we don't eat much beef here.

What is the equivalent of Prime Rib here?  I never seem to see it when I am in the hypermarches.  Perhaps I just don't recognize it.

[/quote]

Lori ...........

Know what you mean, however ...............

For Prime Rib, try the 'Taureau' rib at LeClerc at Les Angles (NW Avignon for the non-locals).  I suspect that the taureau is a bit local to here, so happily not available to all you Northeners. [:P]

Sear it off in a really hot pan, then in the oven for 10 mins, then slice in to 2cm strips.  No sauce needed.  Don't go tomorrow, because I want to buy all they've got to sell (never more than a couple of packs).  A pack costing €9 is a feast for 2.

For Bourgignon, I use their 'collier' - needs a good 2.5 hrs, but gristle-free and little trimming needed.

In general though, you can't beat a good market butcher.  Djoudi on Uzes Saturday market is excellent.  Have usually bought his faux filet, but tried some jumeau the other week - delicious!    

Thanks Gardian.  I will try the Taureau.  I have never bought it, but I have seen it in Auchan Le Pontet now and then. 

I will remember the searing tip too Dick.

We have an excellent butcher in our village.  The only thing is, he is so expensive, I cannot bring myself to pay his prices.  I will if I am feeling really rich, which doesn't happen often.  Too bad really.  I am always rather surprised at how many locals shop there.  They must really invest a LOT of money in their meats. 

Lori ................

You weren't there when they opened their doors this morning, were you?  (From the timing of your post, you must have been up early!)

If you were, you must have had all the Rib Taureau - none left when I got there!! 

We have tried the supermarket packs as well, and always some chunks of meat are tender, and some chunks are as tough as old boots regardless of length or type of cooking.

Our French neighbours agree with this and they say that for any stew they would only use one cut of beef which is I think  "joue de boeuf" or cows cheek.

We have not tried it, so welcome any thoughts.

David

Gardian - nope, wasn't me who bought it all.  Was up early to pick up my husband at Marseille airport.  He is vegetarian, so I guess I won't be picking up any taureau for a little while.  I will try it in the future though.

Have been curious about those beef jowls too.

Supermarket beef is cheap and tough because it comes from old cows. Farmers keep some cows into old age to continue to receive the EU payment subsidies. Then the only organisations that will buy the meat are supermarkets who sell it as a promo. This reality was explained to me by the manager of my local Supermarche.

If you you wish to make a stew you will not go wrong by buying 'jarret sans os'. It is the shin and, as long as you cook it slowly on a low heat for a bout 3 hours, the meat will fall apart. I tried the so-called bourguignon meats and  none of them were any good. Mum said that the shin is the best for stews and Ive not looked back.  Definately go for the jarret.

[quote user="David"]

We have tried the supermarket packs as well, and always some chunks of meat are tender, and some chunks are as tough as old boots regardless of length or type of cooking.

Our French neighbours agree with this and they say that for any stew they would only use one cut of beef which is I think  "joue de boeuf" or cows cheek.

We have not tried it, so welcome any thoughts.

David

[/quote]

Jeu de bouef in my local brasserie, my absolute favorite.

I think that is what he uses in his B-B but I will ask tonight.

He won't touch supermarket meat, he has some delivered from a catering supplier, some he buys from the cash & carry, the rest he buys at a local butcher, he warns me against one that sells meat raised in the E.U. (heaven forbid!) in favour of another that only sells french meat.

He is not daft and definitely penny conscious so he must appreciate the meat from that butcher to pay the premium for it.

From the replies I conclude that the supermarket beef for Burgoignon especially on promo is too risky.

[quote user="Logan"]

Supermarket beef is cheap and tough because it comes from old cows. Farmers keep some cows into old age to continue to receive the EU payment subsidies. Then the only organisations that will buy the meat are supermarkets who sell it as a promo. This reality was explained to me by the manager of my local Supermarche.

[/quote]

I thought any cattle that was for human consumption had to be slaughtered quite young to prevent BSE ?