Frogs tootsies

Wendy

I read recently that exports from India were likely to be reduced because the loss of all the frogs is affecting the ecology balance in some areas - there are no frogs left to eat the insects etc - with a knock-on effect to local agriculture and disease levels.

It is also true that the legs are removed while the frogs are still alive - horrible.

I had lunch in a local restaurant in Les Dombs, a region of lakes and ponds where frogs' legs are a local "dish".  I had never seen them on a menu before and was fascinated to see how popular they were with the locals and tourists.  It had never occurred to me just how many pairs of legs were needed for one dish.  A really sad sight (for me) was the plates full of tiny leg bones at the end of the meal.  There must have been scores for one person's meal.  

If you calculate the number of pairs required for one Sunday lunch session in that one restaurant, it is not hard to see how the ecology balance can be wrecked through exports to France as a whole.

Yuck!. Sounds as bad as eating horse meat to me, and yes, I have noticed that the 'limbs's are imported from outside France. Don't think I'll bother I have to say.

I know in Australia they introduced laws with how restaurants cooked crabs, lobsters and prawns - no more plunging the poor little beggars into boiling water whilest still alive there anymore I can say. They actually SQUEAL!.

It makes me wonder why people need to eat such things at all...slimey snails included.

I don't think they are eaten much by French people. I have never eaten them, and I can't think anyone in my French family who ever has either!

They are marketed as "typically French" in order  to appeal to foreigners. Ironic isn't it, that it's just the tourists who end up eating frogs' legs?

I do find the idea of frogs legs repugnant, far worse than horsemeat. At least the horse doesn't have its legs chopped off for steak, while standing!

I also agree with you with the idea of boiling anything alive - so barbaric, and I refuse to eat lobster etc. for that reason. I do eat mussels though. And snails, sometimes, but those are a pest, so it is a good way to get rid of them, very ecolo! [:)]We all draw our line somewhere.

[quote user="5-element"]

I don't think they are eaten much by French people. I have never eaten them, and I can't think anyone in my French family who ever has either!

They are marketed as "typically French" in order  to appeal to foreigners. Ironic isn't it, that it's just the tourists who end up eating frogs' legs?

[/quote]

The restaurant I mentioned in the Dombes was full of French people eating frogs' legs - we have been on several occasions over the years and it has always been full of French people eating them.  Perhaps, as we have usually been on Sundays, it is a tradition for Sunday lunch in that area.

[quote user="Ian"]I have always wondered why frogs are always included in the "Fish" section of the menu?  I know they swim, but so do ducks ... and horses too come to think of it.
[/quote]

They would't be in the fish Section of the menu in the UK.