Bramley Apples

Just Katie

Can also use them for apple jelly, just cut into smallish chunks (no neel to peel or core) and cook with just enough water to cover them.

Check for pectin.

Take off heat and strain the pulp though a muslin or jelly bag.  Weigh the juice and mix with an equal weight of sugar.  Cook until setting point is reached (105 degrees) and then bottle in clean jars, use waxed disks on top.

Can also be jazzed up with herbs, elderberries, raspberries etc.

Great with cold meats, chicken or any other way you want to eat it.

Certainly but the alcohol needs to be added cold - boiling will just reduce the alcohol content.   I also tend to use sweetener rather than sugar.  In the first case the sugar is the preservative, in the second it is the alcohol so you don't "need" sugar, but may still need to sweeten.  The choice is yours.

Never done it with apples*, but I would reckon any cheap vodka or brandy would be suitable.

* plums, pears, sloes, cherries all work well in alcohol so I see no reason why apples shouldn't.

[quote user="andyh4"]

Peel core and slice.  Pack into sterilised glass jars and pour over with hot sugar syrup with the juice of 1 lemon per pint added.  Seal immediately and they should keep at least one year.

[/quote]

Does this come out like a 'normal' apple sauce, or do you need to cook it for that??? I wan't to make some this afternooon,oops no perhaps tomorrow as i forgot to buy lemons and sugar while out shopping!

What is the quantities for the syrup?

Louise

If the apples aren't damaged you can store them in a cool dark place over the winter and they shouldn't come toany harm . Don't let them touch eachother, perhaps wrap individually in kitchen roll. After all this is what they sell in the shops until the new crop comes in. I do miss them here! Nothing like that fizzy sensation on the tongue when they are fresh. Pat.

[quote user="louweezel"][quote user="andyh4"]

Peel core and slice.  Pack into sterilised glass jars and pour over with hot sugar syrup with the juice of 1 lemon per pint added.  Seal immediately and they should keep at least one year.

[/quote]

Does this come out like a 'normal' apple sauce, or do you need to cook it for that??? I wan't to make some this afternooon,oops no perhaps tomorrow as i forgot to buy lemons and sugar while out shopping!

What is the quantities for the syrup?

Louise
[/quote]

No, the apple comes out as pieces of apple in slices  just like when you put them in the jar (but sweet) - you can then do what you want with them.  The apples don't cook except as they cool the syrup down, and the only reason for adding hot syrup is that if the jars are sealed immediately, you get a vacuum in the jar which is also good for preserving.

For apple sauce you need to cook the apples with a  little lemon juice (to stop discolouring) and add sugar to your taste.  With Bramleys you will need no water, with other apple types you may need to add a few drops of water just to stop the apples burning.

The syrup is made with about 250gm sugar in 1/2 litre of water, although I am never that hot on the measuring.

Think I may have posted about this but not sure.  In  France they sell (Lecrec) bottling/preserving spirit, 40o proof, same as brandy etc. and I seem to recall it's well under 10 euro a bottle.

It's clear and great for bottling fruits like peaches (vine peaches) and anything light coloured like apples.

Using the brandy for figs plus some of the clear stuff as J says they look better.

Will post recipe for relish tomorrow just returned from five days in the UK with all motorway and associated driving.  How did I ever manage to exist for so long at such a pace.

Two shows in Dorset last Friday one the largest steam fair the other the Dorset show on Saturday and Sunday it took us five hours from Poole to Bristol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Last year we had a ton of apples from our 6/7 year old Bramley that we imported from the UK.

This year we have none - not one :(

Apparently if they have too large a crop they can get into a two year cropping cycle so in future if our tree is laden we will reluctantly remove the best part of half of them.

And thank heavens for freezers - we still have plenty of blackberry and apple mix in store for this winters pies [:P]