Yule cake - recipes needed please

chocccie

I think I made a Yule cake many years ago in my teens (OMG that's TWENTY!!!! years ago!!!) .... so don't have a reliable recipe.

I want to make some for French friends this year ... instead of icing them I will be topping them with dried fruit and nuts and covered with an apricot glaze.

So, what I need are tried and tested rich fruit cake recipes, which I will feed with brandy for a few weeks - they need to be the type that get better over time.  I may make square cakes, or perhaps make them in a large loaf tin.

Do you have a favourite recipe to share please?  [:D]  

(I'll make a test cake to eat at  home,..... just to test the recipe out of course!!)

[quote user="Clair"]
Choccie's too late for the chestnuts... [Www]
[/quote]

Grrrr.... snarl   - I'm putting you in my book lady. 

Well, I haven't actually got a book, but if I did, I'd be putting you in it!

Anybody else got a fruit cake recipe to share? 

I'm going to make the Delia one as a test run though!  Just to get into the swing of cake making.

Hi!

Have you seen or tried Delia's 'Creole Christmas Cake'?[ Recipe from  'Delia Smith's Christmas' book].

It's a recipe I've used for many years, and when I ran my own cake making business  before I moved here, it was the cake base I used for all my wedding/christmas cakes. Delia mentions it's too rich a cake to marzipan and ice, but I never found this a problem. She recommends topping it with a glazed nut topping. Happy baking!

Christine.

link added by a mod

Not a cake I know, but very nice Christmas Brandy cookies! [Www] Mind you, I have never managed to finish the recipe in order to sample them!

Christmas Cookie Ingredients

1 cup water
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups dried fruit
1 bottle Cognac

Sample the Cognac to check quality.  Take a large bowl. Check the
Cognac again, to be sure it is of the highest quality.  Pour 1 level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer.  Beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl.  Add 1 teaspoon of sugar, beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cognac
is still OK, try another cup, just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy, break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in 1 cup of dried fruit.  Pick the frigging fruit off floor... mix on the turner.  If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the
Cognac to check for tonsisticity.  Next, sift 2 cups of salt or something.  Who giveshz a sheet. Check the Cognac
.  Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.  Add 1 table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.  Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.  Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the
Cognac
and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS!!!!!! [:D]

[quote user="Clair"]I don't like fruit cake much, no really, but this Delia recipe is very good indeed and you could skip the nuts on the top for your purpose...
[/quote]

This is also the recipe I use each year but add a few more cherries a little grated ginger and some exta mixed spice, it is then fed a bottle of brandy a little each day. A good home made marzipan, then rows of walnuts cherries dried apricot brazils dried pineapple and pecans , soak the dried fruit in brandy first then glaze with clear apricot jam thats been warmed first. put your rows of cherries down the centre then the same nuts on either side then the same dried fruit either side of that ect, till you get to the end,

Never met any one yet who didnt want me to make then one for next year. But I dont cos its bloody hard work [:)]    

[quote user="Clair"]I don't like fruit cake much, no really, but this Delia recipe is very good indeed and you could skip the nuts on the top for your purpose...
[/quote]

This is in the oven right now ... the house smells WONDERFUL!

I added some cinnamon, as I think fruit cakes are lacking without a little spice.  Going to feed it with brandy in readyiness for my bessie friend visiting next week.  (Hope there's some left by then!)

• 5 weeks later...
[quote user="ebaynut"]

Not a cake I know, but very nice Christmas Brandy cookies! [Www] Mind you, I have never managed to finish the recipe in order to sample them!

Christmas Cookie Ingredients

1 cup water
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups dried fruit
1 bottle Cognac

Sample the Cognac to check quality.  Take a large bowl. Check the
Cognac again, to be sure it is of the highest quality.  Pour 1 level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer.  Beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl.  Add 1 teaspoon of sugar, beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cognac
is still OK, try another cup, just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy, break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in 1 cup of dried fruit.  Pick the frigging fruit off floor... mix on the turner.  If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the
Cognac to check for tonsisticity.  Next, sift 2 cups of salt or something.  Who giveshz a sheet. Check the Cognac
.  Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.  Add 1 table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.  Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.  Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the
Cognac
and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS!!!!!! [:D]

[/quote]

Well that made me smile !  Bet you're related to Keith Floyd !  Reading this reminds me of the short film made Dinner for One watched by 100's at Christmas it seems........    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8908622153579785434