Four letter word - diet part 2

Joy1

Hi Jan

Husband Mine & I "did" Atkins five years ago. We thought it the best option for us as the allowables were what we enjoyed anyway. The forbiddens were a little restrictive in the early stages but relaxed a little as we progressed.

We both lost the amounts of weight we wanted to fairly quickly and our doctors were happy with us. Mine in particular as I have a back problem which affects my hip and excess weight wasn't helping. Neither of us found the diet difficult.

Over the past eighteen months or two years, after we reintroduced  more and more food items, somehow we dropped our guard and all sorts of forbiddens crept in, unpacked, put their feet up and became regulars round our place! We did still have periods of Atkins only but not enough and both of us have put back some of the weight.

October 1 last was our cut off point. Before that there was always a birthday, a wedding, a family reunion, a family sized chocolate bar (HM) or cheese and onion Taytos (Me). So we went back to scratch Oct 1 as if we had never done Atkins before and are very pleased with things so far. HM is doing better, but that's cos he has further to go (!) and has dropped almost a stone and a quarter but he is also very sporty which definitely helps. I'm about a third of the way towards where I want to be.

I know it's not the diet for everyone, none is I think, but it works and has worked for us and who knows, maybe this time we'll reintroduce with more prudence.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atkins was brilliant for me and I lost quite a bit despite carrying on drinking.  Then New Year intervened and, after the statutary drinking of the New Year toasts, it was IMPOSSIBLE to restrain.  After that, I went on the South Beach, like Atkins but a few more fruits and veg and that was also brilliant.

There's no doubt about it, EXERCISE was the BIG factor.  It does help keep the weight down and the calories burning.

It is so hard for me here, don't think I can afford the gym and running round the garden with the dog does pall after a bit!

Hello everyone, where are you all today? I guess it is the cold weather, everyone is hibernating[:D] Hope you have all had good weeks. OK, I have managed to loose 200g this week, not a lot but better than a gain! The excuse is we have had more visitors to stay and it is hard to lay off the apperos and wine when everyone else is indulging! One more visitor this week, a good friend from the UK who is a strict vegetarian, can't eat dairy, or anything with yeast, and is also diabetic! I guess we will be eating lots of healthy home cooked vegetable dishes this week[:D] I will be away next week, in the UK with no internet access, so see you all in 2 weeks. Keep slimming, christmas is fast approaching! Joy

I'm still here [blink] Lost about 500g this week, same problem as Joy I can't lay off the apero. It must be this cold weather. Definitely going to try much harder this week,Christmas is coming and will be sooo disappointed when I look like the Christmas pudding. Think I will hang the little black dress up somewhere easily visible as a reminder to keep trying. Come to think of it 500g was quite easy to lose and that would mean half a stone lost in 7 weeks and that would be great but going to aim for more.

The Other Jan

Still slimming and smiling [:D]

Hi Everyone - and well done all you loosers!

Just one lb off this week, which is a bit disappointing but only been cal counting for half the week as we have guests here till Thursday and we've done nothing but eat and drink - lunch out yesterday, dinner out last night and lunch out again today (6 courses and all the red wine you can drink - for 12 euros!!!! [6] ).  Sorry, this really isn't very motivational is it??!!

Also must apologise for no photo's as haven't had time, and I promise that I WILL post the fried rice recipe after Thursday when our friends have gone.

Jan, was it you who mentioned Atkins?  In my humble opinion, and I have tried it - and most other diet regimes that are around - and the only thing going for it is the novelty of being able to eat butter and cream and everything else that's not good for your arteries, whilst not being able to eat things that are healthy, such as fruit and vegetables (yes, I know I'm being extreme but it's just to make a point).  There was a programme on TV once all about it and their clinical testings showed that people on Atkins were loosing weight because they were actually eating fewer calories.  I know it sounds odd but when you've got nothing to put your butter on or pour your cream over then the novelty very soon wears off!  And anyway, do you really want to go round with halitosis [+o(] ??

Someone else asked about calorie counting and where do we get our info from.  I've got a Slimming Magazine booklet called Greatest Guide to Calories which I've had, in various editions, since time began.  My current one is 2003 I think but still works very well.  I think Slimming Magazine have stopped doing them now but if you look on eBay or Amazon then you should be able to get something.  Someone was selling one on eBay last week but wanted £4 for postage to France!!  There are loads of websites too but I find them a bit laborious and they're nearly all American so don't have the same food listings, but they may help you in the meanwhile.  If you get stuck for the cal count of something then give me a shout and I'll have a look in my little book.

Anyway, sounds like the visitors are stiring so better go and see what they want for breakfast.  I'll just sit and watch them eat - naturally!

Will be back before the weekend with that recipe!

Hang on in there all - and just keep thinking about that little black Christmas dress!

Lynda x

• 2 weeks later...
Where is everyone?[8-)] I go away for 1 week and everyone has dissappeared!!!! Have you all given up? Despite my trip away, and lots of puddings, cake and even chocolate, I have lost 200g! What is it about my french diet that makes weight loss so difficult? i have gained over 10lbs since moving here 2 years ago, despite almost constant dieting! A good english friend has recommended I give up yeast for a month to see if it helps, so no more alchohol [:(] or bread. There is definately something about bread that upsets my digestion (but not wheat pasta) so I will give it a go as I continue to count calories!

Am I all alone? It's lonely![:'(][:(] Joy

Hello Joy, don't know what has happened to everyone, but they are going to be so disappointed when they havent lost that half a stone for Christmas [:'(]  So am I at this rate, no loss this week but  know I need to try harder. Must be the cold weather but definitely need a motivation injection. Going to be sooo good this week though because Christmas is coming very fast. I also put weight on when I eat french bread and find it much easier to lose when not drinking alcohol (it tends to make me hungry) so definitely no alcohol this week. Come on everyone join in it will soon be Christmas.

The Other Jan

I'm still here although not dieting as such.

The only thing I have lost this week is my gorgeous white cat who went missing on Sunday evening.   I am so upset about it.  He may yet turn up, but it's so unlike him to go for more than a day.  He likes his home comforts and lots of cuddles and I'm really missing him.

Jan, so sorry to hear you are upset. It's difficult but try not to worry too much. Our homeloving cat went missing for a week once then wandered in as though nothing had happened. He never did it again!.

Thinking of You

The Other Jan

So sorry to hear about your cat Jan. I really hope he comes home soon.

Other Jan, good to hear that there are still two of us trying. Christmas is coming very fast, I really want to loose that 1/2 stone before then. Thankfully the ban on bringing milk products to France meant that I couldn't bring load of cadburys choccies and biscuits back  with me! Joy

I can't believe it's Tuesday morning again, where does all the time go?[8-)] Good news this week, i have lost 800g!!!Wow, that's nearly 2lb! I even went out for a meal last Wednesday (husbands birthday) but I have only had 1 glass of wine all week (last Weds!) and no bread! I have still eaten the same number of calories as when I had 1 glass of wine with dinner each day and bread for lunch- but have lost weight this week instead of staying the same. Hopefully this will continue! Only 5lb to go until 1/2 stone lost! Can I do it??? I hope so!

Jan, I hope yout cat has come home, All the best Joy

Thats brilliant Joy, it's good when you find a solution such as giving up bread etc. I have also lost about a kilo by giving up alcohol, at this rate we will be a stone lighter by Christmas. [:D] Giving up alcohol was easy I have come out in a rash went to Doc and first thing he did was look to see if whites of eyes had turned yellow (liver problem). They are still white but it did give me a scare.

We can definitely lose half a stone and more. Come on everyone else you can do it too and think how good you will feel at Christmas.

Jan, any news on Davy.

The Other Jan

Hiya

I have to admit I've not been on the scales this week - I've been comfort eating and then not eating, then stuffing my face again.

Well done to you two though.  Keep it up.

Still no sign of Davy.  Went calling him again yesterday evening, heard a couple of pitiful meows and sent OH off to see what he could find, only to discover that Marlene (his girlfriend) and Podge (his playmate) had followed me half way up the road and were howling.  They miss him so much.  Podge just can't settle.

The lead on the white cat at the rugby stadium didn't pay off as when the guy who saw him recalled where and when, it was on the Saturday betweem 2 and 4pm and Davy was stacking ZZZZZ's on our bed at that time.

I'll keep hoping though.

Keep up the good work with the weight loss.

Jan

Oh Jan, I do hope you find him, it is so horrible when a loved pet simply disappears. Other Jan, congratulations! I plan to have one glass of wine a week, with my Sunday lunch[:D] I was only having one small glass a day and counting the 100cals as part of my 1400 per day, but something seems to have worked this week! Christmas? Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!! See you next week, Joy

Hi Everyone, I'm back  .... again !!  I've had so many restarts recently I'm beginning to feel like our old laptop!!  However, the good news is that since I was here last I've lost 5lbs!!! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

We're now completely cleared of visitors and on the countdown to our UK Christmas visit (OH fitting for Father of the Bride suit and me retail therapy for wedding outfit) so completely and utterly focused  !!!

I do apologise for not posting recipe and photos.  Recipe will follow but have decided to wait till Christmas to post before and afters ... though might do it sooner.  Have also got a lovely version of monkfish in saffron and pernod sauce - made with 15% creme fraiche so VERY affordable calorie-wise and perfect with 100gms of steamed basmati rice.  Will post that too.

Well done to everyone who's losing, I've got my being good head back on now so will definitely be here next week.  Am aiming to lose another 7lbs by the time we leave for the UK on 19th December, which is four weeks tomorrow [:-))], so that's 1.75lbs to lose each week, which is what my average was when I was doing really well at the beginning of the year.  Fingers crossed!

By the way, 150mls of wine is 85 cals (according to my book - and who am I to argue!) so you can spalsh out and have 200mls for just 113 cals!

Jan, I'm SO sorry to hear about your cat, I hope he's returned by now?  I do know what it's like to lose a pet so I really do feel for you.

Till recipes - later

Lynda xx

Hello Lynda, good to see you back! You are still a super star slimmer- how do you do it! I can't believe it but I have somehow gained weight this week, only 200g but so disapointing after loosing 800g last week, I write down what I eat and seem to have eaten roughly the same calories as last week- I am confussed! Hope it is just fluid retention, it is so hard to keep motivated after being careful all week and then gaining weight[:@] Ah well, I'll keep on going, only 5 weeks left until the big day! I am looking forward to those photos Lynda, and the recipies! Have a good week Joy

Hi Joy, I'm sure it's fluid retention and you'll find that if you just stick to it - and well done for keeping a food diary[:D]! - then it will level itself out and you'll start to maintain a steady weight loss.  The thing is not to get dispondent (not easy, I know) and providing you're sticking to your allotted allowance then you WILL lose weight.

I know I keep saying it but it is absolute FACT; if you eat less than your body needs to maintain it then you will lose weight.  Do a bit of excercise as well and you're quids in!  I think the problem for a lot of people - and me included sometimes - is the desire to see immediate results and if that doesn't happen then it's very easy to say, "oh sod it" and then go and have a chip buttie washed down with a bottle of vin rouge [6].  Hang on in there girl and it WILL happen!

Anyway, off to get the recipes, as promised.

Lynda xx

Righto, here's the first one:

Monkfish with Saffron & Pernod Sauce (my version)

100g chopped shallots

Large tomato – peeled, deseeded and chopped

2tspns oil

1tspn fish sauce (Nam Pla)

10mls Pernod

350g monkfish – skinned & cut into thick discs

1tspn oil

10g butter

100g crème fraîche (15%)

Good pinch saffron – soaked in very small dish of hot water

1.            Gently fry shallots in oil until translucent and then add chopped tomato

2.            Add small amount of water to stop mixture from getting too dry, if necessary

3.            Add fish sauce

4.            Add saffron water (including saffron strands)

5.            Add Pernod

6.            Cook for few minutes more to ‘cook out’ the alcohol then turn off the heat.

7.            Blitz the mixture, adding a little more water if necessary, to a thickish sauce

8.            Return the sauce to the original frying pan.

9.            In different pan quickly fry the monkfish in hot pan, containing 1tspn oil and the butter, until just cooked (3 – 4 mins)

10.       Water will run from the fish which can be used to deglaze the pan

11.       Towards the end of cooking the fish put the sauce back on low heat

12.       Remove fish and keep warm (this will help drain away any further water)

13.       Add crème fraîche to sauce and stir and then transfer the sauce to the fish frying pan, which should still be on a low heat.  Combine well.

14.       Add the fish, discarding any further water which may have drained off, and quickly combine with the sauce.

15.       Serve straight away

This amount, if followed precisely, comes to 607 calories for the total amount and is enough to serve me and my hungry (6'4") husband.  Half the amount, served with 100g cooked basmati rice will 'cost' you 450 cals

Enjoy!

And the next one .....

Is the Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng) recipe from the Marks and Spencer's 'Count on Us' cookbook.

I was going to type it all out but found it on t'internet, so here's the link

http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/13090

It gives you the nutritional info too.

Just one little thing; I add a handful of frozen peas during the cooking process - really makes a difference!

L x

Lovely recipes L just shows dieting is not boring. I've lost another kilo this week so very happy, lightest I've been for 10 years.

Joy, sometimes when I haven't lost and look back I have had a couple more glasses of wine than I thought. Also found exercise has made a big difference.

We are going to look sooooo  good at Christmas.

The Other Jan

Still slimming and smiling

Thanks for the receipes Lynda, they sound lovely[:D] Definately not extra wine Jan, only had 2 glasses at the weekend, same as the week before! (Can't quite contemplate no wine at all[:)] Well done for loosing again! You and Lynda are definately stars! I need to exercise more, it is just so difficult to fit it into the day! I did walk my daughter to school a couple of days though, not this week as it was pouring with rain and she has a cold. Here's to a good week for us all. Joy