Four letter word - diet part 2

Joy1

I like the bit about the water retention - ha ha.

Well, the weather is due to brighten up, so salads for me.  Guests arriving tomorrow for a couple of days, then they disappear for a week, then they are back again for a week.  Probably have BBQs if the weather is good and as I'm not a huge meat fan, will probably stick to a couple of sausages and loads of salad.  Fingers crossed.

........ and if it truly is autumn, perhaps I can start going on more walks in the early morning cool.  Might even try a bit of power walking (if I can find a flat bit around where we live) !!!

Jan

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I'm back![:D] Where is everyone? How come as soon as I'm back the sun has come out in the UK? I have just spent 3 weeks in Dorset and only sat outside 3 times[:(] The good news is that I am the same weight as before I went away! Back to loosing some hopefully. See you next week. Joy

I'm still here, didnt get weighed today - feel very fat [:P]

Started the exercises again today and haven't had anything alcoholic. Did the exercise at the time I would normally have an aperitif so killed two birds etc.I think this sudden effort has something to do with me putting on a sleeveless teeshirt this morning, not a pretty site [blink]

The Other Jan

Still slimming & smiling [:D]

Hi the two Jan's- glad to see that some of us are still around! I am also hoping that the gardening I'm doing this week will help shift some calories from the two BBQs we've been to in the last couple of days! Hope the sun stays out! Joy

Hello anyone out there. I don't believe Jan & Joy have given up and Lynda where are you I need you to bully me into losing half a stone for a wedding on 1 September [blink] I've lost a kilo this week but its the one I put on over the previous couple of weeks. However I'm going in the right direction at last. Only thing I have done differently (still having a problem with the apero [6]) is start the exercises again, would never have believed they can make so much difference.

Hope everyone is OK and are big losers.

The Other Jan

Still slimming & smiling. [:D]

Well done Jan! After my 3 weeks of eating normally in the Uk - and maintaining my weight, I am now back in France and have gained a kilo[6] I think it's due to the fact that we had 2 BBQs and an anniversary meal out last week. Hopefully this week......... living in france has definately been bad for my weight! I am starting the exercise DVDs again soon, it's just so hard with the kids off school. Unfortunately i have two short camping trips to get through before September, what on earth can i eat whilst camping! [8-)]All the best, Joy

Hello Joy 1 kilo gain is the norm for 2 BBQ and anniversary meal that is exactly how I gained the kilo. It was the 37th anniversary on 25 July [blink] Hope you can start the exercises again soon, can't believe the difference they have made. Can you just eat lots of salad and fruit on the camping trips. I often have only cherry toms and cucumber with low fat dressing for lunch. Also tinned tuna and toms. Anyway enjoy the trips they sound fun [:D]

Aha - no one weighed in today.  Where are you?

I have had visitors for the last 10 days, so didn't weigh in last week.  However, I am pleased to say that I didn't put on any weight while they were here.

As with the last visitors, they made a huge dent in my home made apple chutney (must be doing something right). 

Not so good with the plum jam although I'm told that the resulting plum syrup goes nicely with greek yoghurt.  Last time I tried to make jam it took about 2 years to set.  However, the apple chutney seems to be a favourite.  I'm currently doing a Hot Indian Apple Chutney.  Never done that before either, so I hope it turns out nice.

Hope I haven't set you all off dribbling over your keyboards!!!!!

Proper weigh in next week.  I plan to eat loads of home made veg & bean soups for dinner and salads for lunch.  Knowing my luck, nothing will happen, but at least I'll feel a bit healthier.

Jan

Hello all. I'm still here!! Missed last week 'cos we were camping for a few days- luckily got back home before the rain arrived!!! It was so cold at night I felt I simply had to join the rest of the family in eating lots of hot fry-ups (sorry no salad!). I have just weighed in and have lost 1.5lbs! Must be due to the fact that I've been VERY good since getting home! Hope you are all doing well. Is it only Jan and me left? Where is Lynda? Perhaps she got so thin she's off enjoying herself in a bikini?!!!(If the sun is out anywhere!)  I've also made some plum jam-yum yum! The apple chutney sounds great Jan, have you got a recipe?All the best Joy

Hi Everyone,

I'm back too!!  Sorry for not being in touch - VERY BAD - 4lbs gain!!!!!  Just went off the rails but starting yesterday, back on track.  Veg, veg, veg - my greengrocer smiled as he watched me struggle with 2 baskets on Saturday - Ratatouille etc. roasted peppers - I love them when washed down with the odd bottle of cold Chablis - but water just ain't the same!!

However, hoping to shed at least 7lbs by 7th September (going to a wedding) and I think the suit will look better with less bumpy bits!

Good luck to you all - hope to hear of "less" of you next week.

Well done Joy, fry ups and weight loss BRILLIANT.

I didn't weigh in last week because I was so disgusted with myself for not trying harder and the same this week. I know how you feel Fiona I am going to a wedding on 1 September and promised myself weeks ago I would lose half a stone. The wedding outfit arrived this morning and it definitely  will look better with less bumpy bits so now have only 12 days to do it in. [:'(] I just keep thinking of that skirt everytime I think of food, should have ordered the outfit earlier [blink]

The Other Jan

Still slimming and smiling [:D]

WOW What a saga...just joined this thread and read the story so far: Congratulations!!!!!

Last month I flew to London and was hanging round Gatwick waiting to come home when I saw two books that caught my eye (sorry if these are old news - I am not particularly au courrant with weight-loss lit!). First one was: "Why French Women Don't get Fat" and the second one was "Why Japanese Women don't get Fat or Old" (or something like that)

It struck me that most of us have heard about diet advice from the Americans (South Beach, GI, Atkins, Zone et al) which I guess is like taking igloo building advice from the Kenyans (No offence to the many excellent US nutritionists and Kenyan iglooists out there) - just there did seem some irony.

So propped up in the bookshop I scanned through both books - to save you all the trouble of reading them, I have summarised the two below:

French "secret" - portion control

Japanese "secret" - portion control and soyabeans

Keep up the great work folks.  Warm wishes, Ian

Thanks for the info Ian, wish it was as simple as that. Afraid women of a certain age have things called hormones which seem to work the exact opposite of teenage hormones [blink]

Really pleased to say I have lost a kilo this week so the wedding skirt looks a bit less lumpy [:D] It has given me the determination to lose another kilo before saturday. Just had six cherry toms and a glass of water for lunch [:'(] Also can't believe I am a kilo under the last plateau, lightest I have been for about six years.

Hope everyone else are big losers

The Other Jan

Still slimming and smiling [:D]

All visitors have now departed (until October).  I have to confess that I had four days of not having to cook for me and OH, and have now hit the point on the scales which I had NEVER hoped to reached.  I am so depressed about it.  So until our veggie friends come in October, I shall be doing my utmost to shed some of the dreaded blubber.

I was 11st when I was 11 years old and was made to join WW with my mum.  Since the meno I attained that weight+ but now I am mega mortified at what I weigh.  In this heat, it is so uncomfortable especially with the ol' hot flushes as well.

We have three more "events" to go to which involve food - the last Marche Productuer in St Pardoux Corbier on Wednesday, Quiz Night at Beyssac on Friday then a group of us going Western Riding in Limoges on Sunday which includes a picnic.  Hope I get a well muscled, chunky horse to take my weight.  Hope the owners don't ask how much I weight.  So the old saying "I'll start my diet on Monday" is not just a dream, but IT WILL HAPPEN.

I have struggled all year to no avail, but I am so depressed about my weight now, I will resort to just about anything.  Stocked up on fruit and veg today and plan to do cereal for brekkie, fruit and yog and crispbread for lunch and healthy dinners.  I would love to eat loads of fish but it doesn't agree with me (I won't go into detail as that would be too much information), but I am OK with prawns, so I'll be eating lots of them with salad after Monday.

I just hope it works and that my hormones don't protest too much.

Perhaps we need to start a PM thread on meno and diet and share experiences, not just about diet but problems we "young at heart, but older women" face.

Jan

Jan Sooooo sorry to hear you are depressed but I know exactly how you feel, this time last year I felt the same. I have lost 8 kilos since then and although not there yet feel much better about myself.The outfit for the wedding on saturday is a sleeveless top and I would never have worn such a thing in the last eight years. I'm sure you know  from our years of posting that if I can feel this way you soon can.

Been eating very similar to your diet plan and still have a problem with alcohol but find I lose more weight when I can limit it to one very small glass of wine with the evening meal.Some days it's a lot easier than others [blink] Have done lots of exercises and think they have helped lots but I know you might be restricted.

Here's to us both losing a kilo this week. Keep smiling and sliimming. [:D]

Great idea to start a thread on meno and diet.

The Other Jan

I wouldn't have minded, but we went to the It's A Knockout Compettion in St Pardoux Corbier on Sunday and as OH was taking part I offered to drive (OMG) which meant I couldn't drink.  Stayed on water all day (we're talking about 2 litres as it was soooo hot), and next morning, I'd put on 3lbs.  Same today.  I would have thought that drinking that much water, and not a lot to eat, would have helped but I think my body works in reverse to the norm - lol.

Think I'll start a new thread on meno and diet, but keep it to PMs as it could involve really personal info.

Jan

Hello, I'm back and still the same weight boo hoo - though at least I've not put any back on.  I've had a bad accident to my foot, so little exercise and no swimming, though the stitches are out on Friday so hopefull that will improve.  Combined with non-stop table d'hôte meals and the dreaded aperos not a lot of hope for my diet.  Going on holiday 28 September and would so like to lose a few more pounds.

Jan you can pm me 'cos I am that fat, menopausal old bat![:)]

Hello all, I know I'm a day late but have only just got back from UK camping trip. [:)] Unfortunately i have now put on 1lb[6] And I did loads of walking too. grrrrrrr! Ah well! Back to the diet tomorrow, and the exercise programe can restart next week on the return to school for the kids. I know exactly how you feel Jan, although I'm not yet menopausal my metabolism works in reverse! I am now taking some vitamin/ mineral supplements to help speed it up so we shall see. It's soooo annoying, I've been eating healthily all year (apart from the odd week or so) and I only weigh 2 kilos less than at the start!!! A bientot, Joy

Me again! I am pleased to report that I managed to loose the 1lb I gained last week[:D] I still have a long way to go however[:(] Hopefully now all the summer hols are over I can knuckle down to some exercise and shed some weight before Christmas! My aim is to loose 7lb between now and then. Ok that doesn't sound a lot but I will be happy to acheive that much! That will just leave me another 7lb to loose to get back to the weight I was before moving over here 2 years ago! Hope you guys have had a good week. Joy

Hi Joy,

Well done getting that 1lb back off.  I have lost 2lb but that has been over 2 weeks but I would be quite happy to lose a 1lb a week for the next few months!!!!!!!!!!!

The wedding I was going to this Friday has sadly been cancelled (mother of groom passed away last Friday) so outfit will definately look better when I have dropped another few pounds.  Had wanted to lose 7lbs before then and only managed the 2 so far.

Hope we hear of lots of loss from the others. 

Fiona

Well done Joy & Fiona.

Now that all the visitors have gone and the "season" has slowed down a bit, I too am going to knuckle down with the exercise and sensible eating.

Sorry to here about the groom's mother passing away - must have been awful for the family.  I don't expect the couple to be married will want to re-book the wedding just yet.

Jan