Mulled Wine

kneegel

Hi,

Does anyone have a recipe for mulled wine. I have been trying without success to find the sachets that I used to buy back in the UK.

If you have a recipe or know where I can buy mulled wine sachets by post I would be eternally grateful.

Ta very much.......

I've used Delia Smith's recipe several times from her popular Christmas recipe book, which Clair has highlighted in her posting.  It works a treat.  However, I use 2 oranges stuck with tons of cloves (I get the children to do this bit) for extra flavour. 

Ingredients

2 x 75 cl bottles medium to full-bodied red wine (Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon is ideal)
1 orange stuck with cloves
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
6 level tablespoons granulated sugar or honey
2 inch (5 cm) piece cinnamon stick
2 level teaspoons finely grated fresh root ginger or ground ginger
2 tablespoons fruit liqueur such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or cherry brandy (optional)

If you have run out of space on the cooker, use a slow cooker in the corner of the kitchen, allowing a few hours for it to get ready.  The china bowl in the slow cooker also does not take up the metallic flavour that seems to appear when you use a saucepan.

Cathy, you left out the 1.5 litres of water that Delia specifies in her recipe! 

I made that exact recipe on Sunday and was surprised to see Delia included water.  I put in about half a litre of water to the 2 bottles of wine, just in case it was vital - but I don't think it was an improvement on my usual version with undiluted wine.  I think it would have been awful with the full 1.5 litres of H2O. [+o(]

Angela

For something a little different

Warm white wine with white port

1 Bottle of white wine

1/4pt white port

The peel without pith of 1 lime 

2 vanilla pods

3 bayleaves

4 tablespoons honey (more or less according to taste)

Heat up & leave to infuse for about 20mins. Remove lime peel, pods & bayleaves, serve & enjoy. It's lovely![:D]

I use this (really easy) recipe every year - its lovely!

2 bottles red wine
1/2 cup water (ie ½ pint)
1/2 cup sugar (ie 4oz)
4 sticks cinnamon
5 whole cloves
1 orange
1 lemon

Zest the fruit, avoiding the white pith. Put this, the sugar, cinnamon and cloves into the water. Bring this to a slow boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Now add the wine. Add in the actual orange and lemon fruit part, sliced up. Warm this on low heat for 40 minutes (do NOT boil). Strain out the wine and serve.

Alternatively, if you have an IKEA near you they sell bottles of Blossa Glögg which is their version of mulled wine made up and ready to heat. We were a bit sceptical at first but after trying it we went back for more!

I no longer use a recipe, I just bung in

2 or 3 bottles of red wine (quite often stuff that's been hiding in Mr Cat's wine cellar for years, and once opened is a bit yuk)

some sugar (not too much, I can always add more towards the end if needed)

Sliced up oranges and lemons (if I've no oranges a good couple of slugs of orange juice works nicely)

A cinnamon stick  (I don't like too much cinnamon, makes it tase "dusty")

10 cloves (I like cloves)

a good pinch of ginger

some water (again, not too much, can always add more towards the end)

a couple of good slugs of brandy.

Made this way I know I always have the ingredients to hand, so can make it whenever the urge arises.  Everyone loves it, and I'm always being asked for the recipe.

I use a lot of slugs when cooking, the scales and measuring jugs only come out for stuff that just has to be absolutely precise to work.

Failing that, a couple of snails carefully prised from their shells would be an acceptable alternative [:)]

I'm in the process of making my own mulled wine right now and have done pretty much the same as everyone else except i've added Pineau this year instead of rum to make it a little more regional.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way of making it it's just down to preference of taste. Personally i like lots of cinnamon and freshly squeezed lemon. I also prefer it with a good slice of ginger cake or parkin - which has just come out of the oven. mmmmmmm, I can't wait!