Tough beef

FairyNuff

My wife usually buys poullet blanc chickens - they're small and expensive but as  tasty as the larger birds we used to get in UK supermarkets.

We've just about given up all hope of nice steak or roasting beef.  We like beef bourbignon, and that always turns out to be very nice having been prepared in a slow cooker.  The pork's very good, too.

I've never understood why the French always seem to be happy to put up with second best.  We live in Limousin cattle country, yet can't get decent, tender steak or a good roasting joint.  Unless we buy the chickens already specified, the birds are scrawny, fatty and tasteless.  Similarly, when you buy paint out here it's thin, the containers are half full and it's generally rubbish.  Why do the French artisans put up with it?  Have they never tried British chicken/beef/paint, and would there be a revolution if they did?

Chris

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we usually only vacation in France, we only buy roti chickens for town/village markets. We have yet to purchase a bad one. As for beef, we have learned to avoid bavette, whether to cook or eat in a restaurant, as it is usually tough as an old boot.

[quote user="ChrisnJulie"]I've never understood why the French always seem to be happy to put up with second best. [/quote]

Oh look! Another sweeping generalisation![Www]

I shop at lot in Géant in Aurillac and I can buy either cheap "generic" beef or excellent Salers beef, which costs nearly twice as much and will be tender and juicy.

More details here: http://www.auvergne.chambagri.fr/pages/rubsav/fiches/viandes/boeuf.htm#race

The butcher in the village offers a choice of locally reared beef, pork

and lamb, which will definitely cost more than the equivalent at the

supermarket.

Like most things in life, you pays your money and you takes your choice... [:)]

I tried faux filet de cheval the other day and it was definitely the tenderest and tastiest beef that I have ever had, and that is after me cooking it!

Perhaps it is a bit of a lottery as the only other time I tried it, it had a very strong taste.

Might possibly be the answer to those longing for good old fashioned roast beef, other than going back to where their goût remains!

I know the cuts of beef are different in France, but is there a simple list anywhere which translates the French cut into how it can be cooked? ( the sort of thing you could print off and take shopping with you??)

Would be useful!! ( I have bio beef  in the freezer but the cuts mean nothing to me!!![:-))]  As it was expensive I'd hate to stew some fillet or roast some stewing steak!

[quote user="Frederick"]I have noticed in a local butcher to me some customers purchase beef steak  and then get the butcher to feed it through his machine  and out it comes minced and compressed  into an oval shaped burger .......perhaps thats the answer ?[/quote]

It doesn't have to be a local butcher - if I have asked at the butchery counter at the supermarket they do exactly the same thing.

I made a beef casserole yesterday. Started it at 12.00 noon on the wood stove and we ate it about 7.00 pm with mashed potatoes and broccoli, then left it on the stove most of this afternoon, added some pasta quills about 5.30 pm, then later cooked some green beans and we had another lovely meal tonight.[:)]. The meat cost about 4.50 euros, so a good value two days food.

Bought some entrecote from the local epicerie and was 'very' diplomatic (as we've had numerous inedible steaks)  in asking Michel (the proprieter) the best way to cook it.  Fry in a little butter very quickly 'till coloured on both sides (cast iron pan best) and then pop in the oven for 7 minutes (fan 150, medium cooked).  Absolutely delicious and comes out with juice to pour over the top. Yum!

Everyone to their own, in the past I've eaten cheval in a resto and thought it ok, though not something I would choose to purchase for the family.

Bon appetite.

[quote user="mayday"]

Hi

I hate to upset you J.R. but I think tat the 'faux filet de cheval' that you bought the other day and thought was tender and tasty - was HORSEMEAT STEAK!!!

[/quote]

No you didnt upset me I knew exactly what I was eating!

My mischievous nature made me phrase the response as I did, I even initially mispelt "chaval" for "cheval" to trick the unwary (i.e. "why cant we get proper roast beef like at home" etc) into asking for it at the boucherie[6]

I still maintain that it was the best beef steak that I have ever eaten [:)]

Today I saw "roti de bouef de cheval" on promo so I will try that next.

Seriously for those whose tastebuds are not dictated to by their "sensibilities" and who are steak lovers I recommend giving our four legged friends a try.

Moving slightly away from beef.....I know what you mean by the use of pasta to get another meal out of whats left Rob as I do it too.

The turkey from Xmas I used  for example but roast  ham hocks / chicken also works well .... I .put the lot  through a crank the handle mincer......mince up an onion...( I have also used a leek .) . a carrot for a bit of crunch ....... garlic ....In a pan fry in  drop of olive oil  the minced onion and garlic. add the carrot ...add the meat ..add some tomato juice or  part of a tin of tomatoes chopped .......... just enough to bind the lot together. you want it pretty solid not runny ......... add some mixed herbs if you want to  or / dash  Worcester /pepper sauce  ......Tip it out onto a big plate and with the back of a wooden spoon ....thats what I use ..stuff it in cannelloni pasta tubes....(box of  in  any Supermarket ) .Lay out spaced apart in a rectangular dish ....poor over a cheese sauce ..slice tomatoes or mushrooms to lay on the top grate  cheese over and in the oven for about 40 minutes  untill it bubbles and browns over  slightly ......Fine as a starter if you want to serve one or two with a green salad ......or as a main meal ....I have used up all sorts in pasta tubes ! Big glass of red in case its a bit hot to eat .......enjoy

[quote user="J.R."][quote user="mayday"]

Hi

I hate to upset you J.R. but I think tat the 'faux filet de cheval' that you bought the other day and thought was tender and tasty - was HORSEMEAT STEAK!!!

[/quote]

No you didnt upset me I knew exactly what I was eating!

My mischievous nature made me phrase the response as I did, I even initially mispelt "chaval" for "cheval" to trick the unwary (i.e. "why cant we get proper roast beef like at home" etc) into asking for it at the boucherie[6]

I still maintain that it was the best beef steak that I have ever eaten [:)]

[/quote]

[:D] [:D] JR... what a naughty sense of humour you have!!!

Sweet 17; tried the casserole.   It was for friends (silly them) coming around for dinner.    Left it in oven for 6 hours, cooking in plenty of time for arrival.    Took it out and tried it; beef was like an old wellington boot (as normal).    Stuck in back in oven (for want of something better to do with it), and went to supermarket to buy something vaguely passable for dinner guests, due to arrive a few hours after.    Was so annoyed I couldn't even be bothered to take the thing out of oven.     Cooked up make-shift new meal; at same time finally removed casserole from oven and tried to hide it, explaining it wasn't good.      My greedy neighbour asked to try it anyway and strangely the meat had turned from rubber to tender in the last few hours!    I think I may have just had it on too low; I put cold water in with it, and it probably took about 4 hours to even get up to simmering temperature (I figured this out after as the likely explanation).   The only other thing is that I put in parsnips and it seemed very sweet in taste, so perhaps I will leave them out next time.

I think the main problem with the beef here is that it isn't hung for long enough.  Bright red meat is a real giveaway - probably just come off the hoof!  That and the habit of cutting away every bit of fat (the taste-giving part of the meat).  Oh for a nice rolled sirloin or a bit of slow-roasted brisket!

An update:

I followed the suggestions made after I started the thread, and cooked some more of the same type of beef in red wine in a slow cooker for about 7 hours, with some carrots, garlic, herbs, onions etc, it fell to pieces when we put a fork into it. We actually ate what was supposed to have been for two meals in one sitting it was so good![blink]

FairyNuff

[quote user="londoneye"]Sweet 17; tried the casserole.   It was for friends (silly them) coming around for dinner.    Left it in oven for 6 hours, cooking in plenty of time for arrival.    Took it out and tried it; beef was like an old wellington boot (as normal).    Stuck in back in oven (for want of something better to do with it), and went to supermarket to buy something vaguely passable for dinner guests, due to arrive a few hours after.    Was so annoyed I couldn't even be bothered to take the thing out of oven.     Cooked up make-shift new meal; at same time finally removed casserole from oven and tried to hide it, explaining it wasn't good.      My greedy neighbour asked to try it anyway and strangely the meat had turned from rubber to tender in the last few hours!    I think I may have just had it on too low; I put cold water in with it, and it probably took about 4 hours to even get up to simmering temperature (I figured this out after as the likely explanation).   The only other thing is that I put in parsnips and it seemed very sweet in taste, so perhaps I will leave them out next time.
[/quote]

Londoneye

I'm so glad it worked out in the end or I would have felt so responsible.  Yes, definitely start with hot stock.  Sometimes I do use stock powder (Marigold) though I would never use over-salted stock cubes.  Or sometimes I use water and some wine or beer is always quite good as well.

Then, if you do what the French do, and serve a simple salad on its own, then the cheese and then the dessert, it's just so much less hassle than trying to keep everything warm and served to everybody at the same time.

Well done, you!