My favourite cheese

inkflo

[quote user="Clair"]It depends on the mood, Roquefort or Laguiole (also from the Auvergne), but I do have a soft spot for a dry Crottin de Chavignol... or two[:-))]

[/quote]

I love blue cheese, but what's the dry Crottin de Chavignol like then?

Epoisse is the best cheese in the world [:D] Its the first thing I buy when in france , although now have found an mail order service but its so expensive in the UK .

If you like a strong brie that smells like old sock that runs like honey this is your baby[:)]

Hello Meg

No need to panic at the moment as I still have some English cheddar in my freezer. Purchased I may add for  OH  as he is not a lover of anything other than his boring old cheddar...a right stick in the mud.    I have to make him steak and kidney pies and pasties (we lived in Cornwall )  I just love all the French cheese and could happily live on them.

Coincidentally, I heard about cantal entre deux last night at a dinner party.  I have been trying my hand at cheese scones and used emmental from the supermarche as it was ready grated and one job I do not like is grating cheese as I usually manage to grate some finger at the same time.

Anyone know of a crumbly cheese like a Lancashire or Wensleydale that I can use in a pear pudding recipe I like.  Pear and crumbly cheesed baked in a pastry case and served upside down.  Manages to look impressive and taste sublime. 

[quote user="Will"]

Beaufort is another excellent hard cheese.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Livarot for its general stinkiness.

My own favourite is still Double Gloucester though.

[/quote]

When we lived in Stroud there was a stall on  the farmers market from Wick Court Farm, Nr Saul and if you like Double Gloucester Will you would love the Single Gloucester from them. They only use there own Glousester cattle for the milk and it is wonderful!! Jonathan Crump makes it in a tiny-ish dairy in a farm yard full of ducks and chickens running around.

We bought a half rare breed lamb from him once. When we went to collect it he weighed it and reconed up the price. When he saw the price he told us that he thought it was too much for 1/2 a lamb and knocked £10 off of it! That lamb was as good as his cheese and produced by a really lovely bloke!

I still love Petty Basque!!

A year as a Saturday girl working on the cheese counter at British Home Stores put me off cheese for life.  By the way, cheddar was 30p per pound, I think.  I was good at judging an exact pound when using the wire slicer.

My other half is rather partial to Stinking Bishop.

Back in August, I got hooked on Pont l'Eveque, but the problem is, French cheese only ever tastes good to me at the end of a meal in France.  For me, it just doesn't really work in England unless you can get a decent pain de campagne, and even then it would only work for me as a cheese course with a glass of red wine.  On the whole, I don't really like traditional French cheese - especially not when it is runny.  Even in France, I couldn't just eat a Pont l'Eveque sandwich, for example.  If I was to have bread and cheese in France as part of a picnic, then I'd go for Beaufort, Comte or Emmental - sometimes Cantal/Entre deux - but then, those are similar to English cheese.  I have started to like chevre now and I do like to have a salad of chevre on baguette toast with lardons - even in England!  I can't bear Brie or any of the blue cheeses, but wouldn't eat English blue cheese either.  I probably wouldn't eat raclette cheese or reblochon uncooked either, but we do eat Raclette and Tartiflette fairly regularly.