The very best coffee

Ian

I like a cup of coffee. 

OK, OK  I LOVE a cup of coffee - for me this is an espresso. In fact I'm something of an espresso anorak (I can drone on about brewing temperature, tamping pressure, extraction pressure, best grinds etc til your ears bleed).

While it is great to pull an espresso, sometimes a cup of instant is all that's called for.

What is the best (money no object - we are talking a couple of euros either way) instant coffee you can get in regular French supermarkets?

Nescafé make an instant "espresso".  Tastes nothing like a good real shot but it's pretty good for an instant.  Got to say I quite like Carte Noire too!

Kopi Luwak is one of several "animal-poo" coffees: it "stars" in the current Jack Nicholson film "Sans Plus Attendre" - Nicholson loves it in reallife too apparently. 

Any more votes?

My espresso machine died a few months ago and I replaced it with a Senseo machine.  Previously I had  used the Lavazzo dosettes but I have a few vouchers for the Senseo bags and so have tried a few of their  fairly extensive range - all good.  I will however buy some more Lavazza dosettes, which I am sure are the same size, as I really did  like those.

Hi All

I used to go through espresso machines like there was no tomorrow I am now using a real cheapy from Lidl's £39 which is standing up to being on all day long and the coffee I use is Segafredo zanetti Intermezzo, bags of aroma, full of flavour (not just strong) and wonderful crema, I would not knock the lavazza range but I just love Segafredo.

I have nothing to do with the company by the way.

I don't think I've touched instant coffee for about 30 years.  A French penfriend gave me a filter machine for a wedding present in 1978 and for 2 years before that I used a filter anyway.  But - when you stop off at a service station on a French motorway and buy an "expresso" - are you actually buying expresso or instant coffee?  I don't know!  All I know is that it is far better than the vast majority of coffees that you get in British restaurants (although I'm not including the coffee shops which have become prevalent in the last few years where you can get a thimble full of proper coffee- although I would never have a coffee in an ordinary British restaurant).  Anyway, the French service station vending machine stuff is pretty convincing - bearing in mind that we have been using an expresso machine chez moi for the last 9 years and a filter machine since 1978. 

So, do you know an instant coffee that actually tastes like coffee?  If so, please could someone tell the B & B hotels, because as much as I like them for overnight stops, their coffee is tasteless!

Not quite instant but in fact quicker than boiling a kettle:

My vote goes for Aldi coffeepads classiques in a Senseo machine.

The boxes on the shelves in Aldi are 50/50 classiques and Corse, only the classiques seem to sell out straight away and the Corse coffee stays in the half empty boxes, I have always wondered what they do with those remaining when they put out the new boxes.

They are  €1.29 for 20 dosettes but I am certain that there used to be 24 in a packet until quite recently, can anyone confirm if this is indeed a hidden rice rise?

I never touch instant, rather have a weak tea.

I agree with Clair too, Lavazza is nice. But I found a Fair Trade (oh don't get me started on Fair Trade...no seriously!) one in my nearest Norma store called Etre Bio and it's organic too, luverly! I have this filter holder thing which sits perfectly on a cup or mug. Perfect for fresh coffee without waiting ages! You simply put a filter in it, whatever amount of scoops of real coffee you fancy and pour boiling water in it half way, wait till it's gone and pour again till you have a mug/cupful. Only takes a tiny bit longer than instant! I'm the only coffee-drinker in my home, so it's handy!