English

ColinE

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

These are a few of the things that I have been asked to bring over for friends: Malt vinegar, curry paste, vitamin pills, pork pies, horse equipment, Pilate's exercise machine, pen refills, crossword books, allspice, dog ( not done that one yet!)..........

Well I do always say 'is there anything you want' [:D]

[/quote]

no cuddly toy?? [Www]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Jacqui Too "]

These are a few of the things that I have been asked to bring over for friends: Malt vinegar, curry paste, vitamin pills, pork pies, horse equipment, Pilate's exercise machine, pen refills, crossword books, allspice, dog ( not done that one yet!)..........

Well I do always say 'is there anything you want' [:D]

[/quote]
no cuddly toy?? [Www]
[/quote]

Not as yet!!

But also: pillow cases, ships clock, gravy browning, books and magazines, the lists go on!!!!

Perhaps we could start a thread about the things we bring back with us, my case is always heavier on the way back! to the point I have to leave things behind till we come over in the car!!

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

Perhaps we could start a thread about the things we bring back with us, my case is always heavier on the way back! to the point I have to leave things behind till we come over in the car!!

[/quote]

Sorry I didn't make it very clear, I should have said bring back to ENGLAND!!

I now have French: potato peeler, frying pans, pillows, fruit bowl with an anti fly net, fois gras, confit de canard, cassis, pastis, garlic, shopping baskets, plastic steps (for reaching in top cupboards) and have you seen the size of the ironing boards in BUT!

Its nice to have the choice from both countries[:D]

I've been thinking about this thread this evening, driving in my car.  I can add Heinz tomato ketchup, Variety cereal (or even cornflakes for that matter) and, for my children, baked beans and spaghetti hoops.

Fish and chips but you can't pack those into a box and bring here (sadly).

Heinz tomato ketchup: available from all the supermarkets here

Variety cereal (or even cornflakes for that matter): as above

baked beans: as above, but change all to some

and spaghetti hoops: [+o(] but each to his own [:P]

Bottles of british beer .... although I have found speckled hen in Carcassonne

Some good english books to read . cost a fortune in france

How about a subscribtion for his / her favorite magazines .... some do post to france as I did this for my brother one year.

A photo album of all the good times you have had together .

[quote user="Clair"]Heinz tomato ketchup: available from all the supermarkets here
Variety cereal (or even cornflakes for that matter): as above
baked beans: as above, but change all to some
and spaghetti hoops: [+o(] but each to his own [:P]
[/quote]

Clair - They are not available where I am unless I make a 1.5 hour trip to Bordeaux.

[quote user="ColinE"]

Hi powerdesal.

You dont know what your missing, toast with slices of cheese on top. light spread of marmite, in the microwave for 45 secs.

Wonderful

Colin

[/quote]

I'll take the cheese but grated, with some finely blitzed mushroom added and a dash of tabasco with a touch of grain mustard (homemade of course), then grilled.

You can bin the Marmite its indescribably yuk.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Every right-thinking person knows that Marmite is the food of the Gods and if I ever earn my wings I would prefer that to a diet of Ambrosia thank you very much. (I mean, creamed rice is OK but could you live on it forever?)[/quote]

Pierre, I've called the men in white coats for you...[:-))][:-))]

Beg to differ, once a Marmite baby, always a Marmite baby.  You had to have been brought up on it, but for those tiny infants that grew to love it as one of the first solid foods they ever experienced, heaven on a slice of toast.

We are the Marmite soldiers!

Hi All

Interesting reading, the only thing I would miss I am afraid is Marmite but I would rather go without than pay silly money for it. Quaker oats available in Intermarche, custard as mentioned easy to make and sooooo much nicer, horse radish, grow your own, curry / fish and chips make your own, how you can miss M&S food or Kentucy chicken is beyond me, but each to their own.

• 2 weeks later...
I miss muffins and Anchor butter. Yorkshire tea. Cheddar cheese, Robinson's marmalade, cheese & onion crisps, mince pies at Christmas. But then again, I didn't miss those foods half as much as French foods!

There's a really good tea from Norma...granted you need 2 teabags for a decent mug, but there you go!!

I can't find baked beans here. My son loves porridge! Wish we'd had the foresight to bring half a trailer-full!