Gadgets for the dining table

Last week there was talk on the television and radio in England, about useless gadgets.  The Fondue set was mentioned as a fad of the 70's which is now "useless".  I never knew anyone in England myself who owned a Fondue set in the 70's, but I did have one myself, as a result of staying with a family in Savoie and we used to use it quite a lot for Fondue Bourgignonne and Fondue Savoyade.  Since we bought a Pierrade a few years ago, we haven't had Fondue Bourgignonne, but still occasionally have Fondue Savoyade.  The Pierrade was bought as a result of eating it with friends in Normandy.  We use it at least once a month.  We also have a raclette set, as a result of visiting my brother-in-law in Switzerland 25 years ago and although we couldn't get hold of suitable cheese for a long time as we couldn't afford trips abroad for a while and couldn't find the cheese here, we have used it a lot - probably 6-8 times a year for the last 10 years, but we do it the Savoy way using Charcuterie as well as the Swiss way is a bit bland.  We use all these gadgets for just the 4 of us regularly as well as for guests, as they make for a very sociable meal.  We use them because they are an easy option on a day when we haven't much time to prepare a meal.

So I just wondered, do you find these gadgets useless, or do you use them?  Do you have any other similar gadgets?  If so, what?  Do you use them regularly?

I have a raclette with a granite stone so dont know if that is a pierrade, I use it often in the warm weather to eat outside al fresco and on my own as well!

I like the fact that I can cook exactly as much as I feel like eating over as long a time as I wish without it getting cold or having waste.

A French friend used to manage a passable raclette with just a microwave oven!

Have been out to lunch/dinner with 2 different sets of friends in the last couple of days.  I admired the tagines prominently displayed in both kitchens and was told that no, they haven't had occasion to use them yet.

For 10 years, my husband owned a cookshop business.  Every January/February, it would stock up with fondue sets for returning skiers.  They would have a fondue at their chalet/hotel and want one when they got back.  The fondue sets then gather dust, especially when you realise how much preparation goes into doing a fondue.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to see that you said that a lot of work goes into a fondue.  We always consider it a quick and easy option, but then we do use a food processor to grate the cheese.  I know the people I stayed with in Chambery said you should cut the cheese into long slivers, but in Switzerland, you can buy the cheese ready grated and there they just use a bit of sliced vacherin to make it stringy.  Beef fondue is also quick and easy - I suppose it depends on what you serve it with.  We used to serve it with chips and salad plus bought sauces.  If you make your own sauces I suppose it does take longer.  But at mayonnaise, I fail!  So I buy that and add my own garlic and buy bearnaise and tartare too.  With pierrade we tend to roast potatoes and do a separate dish of roasted vegetables or a salad.  But we still cheat with the sauces.  I find these all to be quick and easy meals to prepare.  We use them as standbys for when we haven't much time - for example, when we arrive back from a holiday in the evening.  We had raclette for dinner this evening although the weather was warmer than it had been for a week or two! 

I'm interested in what has been said about Tagines.  I really would like to get more into North African cuisine.

I adore tagines but you don't need the pretty funnel-shaped dish to make an authentic one. In Morocco most restaurants just use those to serve in (or so I was told by a Moroccan while I was there!).

I love my raclette - it has been the focus of many a hilarious and sociable meal, especially when people are introduced to it for the first time.

The one I have (a Tefal) has a non-stick grill on the top which I used to saute marinated strips of peppers, onions, mushrooms, courgettes for a veggie friend to replace the charcuterie. It was so delicious that now I always do that - make the meal seem a little less sinful somehow...

Fay

PS I have the charcuterie as well of course!

PPS - JR whereabouts in Picardie are you?

I have fond memories of my parents fondue parties.  The one that really sticks in my mind was the one where my dad was in charge of making some mulled wine, but unfortunately during the making and tasting, go a bit squiffy and was in serious trouble with my mum as none of the guests had arrived yet.  The party went well, even though dad did drop off halfway through - more serious trouble with mum.  Bless him.

I enjoyed the fruit fondue with chunks of banana, strawberry, apple dipped into a warm chocolate sauce.  Yum.

I also have a fondue set which was a Christmas present about 10 years ago, but I have never used it.

The only other gadget (but not for the dining table) that I have is a hard boiled egg slicer - excellent if you want to put sliced hard boiled eggs into sandwiches or lay them out at a buffet for people to help themselves.  It caused much amusement with a friend who offered to help me get the food ready for a party and I asked her to slice the boiled eggs - such a strange look she gave me - then I produced the slicer and she is now a complete fan.   Mine was an 80s purchase, but you can still buy them at our local Super U.

I have relatives that have bought stainless steel pepper and salt mills ...You press a button and they grind the pepper and salt  but the real surprise is they also light up ...I assume LED's fitted  round the grinder  illuminate your meal while they are working .....I have not bought any as knowing my luck there would pe a power cut during dinner and we would  end up with a trail of pepper to the kitchen while I found the candles .

My friend has a Tagine, but it's electric, on the above web they all look as if they all go onto hobs, I have seen hers in lots of shops, they are about 80 euros, I am very impressed with what she puts in it, I am saving up for one, I could go down to the village and sell my body, but hubby says we never have enough coins in the house, so how will I give out change, ( he thinks he's funny).

Can crusher which will only cope with small sized cans rather than the giant cat food size which are almost the only cans we buy.

Electric can opener which will not cope with modern cans or the other end of giant cat food cans so I can crush them flat.

Very expensive bottle opener - billed as the World's best which will not cope with anything other than real corks in perfect condition.

Spiral cutter which lets you produced poncey decorations from cucumber and subsequently produce mega thin cucumber slices. 

Local supermarket has a candy floss maker, popcorn maker, hotdog maker, chocolate fountain for sale.  Wife would love all of them but know they'd probably only get used once then we'd have to find somewhere to store them.  We do use the raclette quite often though.

Tagines ........The in the oven or on the hob with a defuser.ones made in plain teracotta ...glazed except for the bottom .....in the big super / hyper markets  from about 12 euros depending on size....The serving ones Gi-Fi  I  noted had a big range of them also.... not expensive .   The  Supermarket one I use does tenderise meat well ....

[quote user="Suninfrance"]

The only other gadget (but not for the dining table) that I have is a hard boiled egg slicer - excellent if you want to put sliced hard boiled eggs into sandwiches or lay them out at a buffet for people to help themselves.  It caused much amusement with a friend who offered to help me get the food ready for a party and I asked her to slice the boiled eggs - such a strange look she gave me - then I produced the slicer and she is now a complete fan.   Mine was an 80s purchase, but you can still buy them at our local Super U.
[/quote]

I haven't seen those for years.  I remember that I used to love to have a go with it when salads were being prepared at my mum's bowls club back in the 60's.  Shame you've not tried your fondu though.  It does make a sociable meal and the steak goes further than if you served meat in a normal way.  Or the cheese version is good on a cold winter's night.