Elderflower Cordial

Geranium

Now that the elderflowers are out I want to make Elderflower Cordial this year.  All the recipes I have require citric acid.  Does anyone know what this is known as in France and where I am likely to get it from?

Not all Pharmacies will sell citric acid to the general public. It is part of a recipe used with heroin. I took a copy of my recipe for Elderflower cordial  with me and showed the pharmacist. She explained their caution to me.

[quote user="JayJay"]acide citrique… you can substitute it with acide tartarique, you can get that from your pharmacie.[/quote]

There is a slight distinction here.  Most elderflower cordial recipes are quite heavy on citric acid, which contributes significantly to the final taste.  Whilst citric acid is 'lemony', tartaric acid has a decidedly sour taste which most people do not consider pleasant in quantity.

But, as jayjay says, citric acid is readily obtainable.

Thank you. I'll try and get the acid citrique.  If I can't and choose to use lemon juice, would the quantitities be the same?  My recipe requires 75g of the citric acid.  Also would the keeping qualities be the same?

I was hoping the cordial would see us through the summer, but how long can I expect it to last in a normal air-tight bottle?

75g of citric acid is quite a lot.  What quanties are you making?  I would use 1 or 2 lemons per litre, taste it and see how much is good for you. The keeping qualities are dependent on the sugar content, not the citric acid but kept in a cool dark place it should be fine for the whole summer.  If it starts to ferment, add more water and make elderflower wine [B][:P]

[quote user="Geranium"]but how long can I expect it to last in a normal air-tight bottle?

[/quote]

Indefinitely, if you use camden tablets, as below.  I make mine in quantity every second year, and '06 is still fine.  It may throw off a slight haze which rises to the top and can be poured off.

ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

Ingredients

40 heads of elderflower

1 lemon thinly sliced

5.5 pts boiling water

8 lb white sugar

5 oz citric acid

2 camden tablets

Method

1.    Place flowers in vessel with lid.  Add lemon, sugar, boiling water and stir until dissolved. 

2.    Cover and leave for 5/6 days, stirring occasionally. 

3.    Crush and dissolve two camden tablets in a little hot water and add to the vessel and stir well.  Strain through muslin. 

4.    Dissolve citric acid in a little boiling water and add to the strained juice.  Bottle in sterilized bottles.  Serve diluted to taste.

Citric acid is not essential but prolongs life,
not much point if family are going to drink it all one afternoon and you make leftovers into sorbet! [8-|]

Nannys favourite:

30 elderflower heads
6 pints (3L) boiling water
2lb (1K) caster sugar
citric acid (not essential but helps it keep longer)
2 oranges
3 lemons
Better to gently immerse elderflowers in clean water so as to remove creatures but not to remove too much pollen with water jets etc, drain.
Pour boiling boiling water over the sugar in large bowl
Stir well and leave to cool,
Add oranges and lemons sliced, then elderflowers, citric acid to keep,
Leave for 24 hours with occasional stir (some of you should be good at that)[:D]
Strain through muslin and pour into sterilised bottles

Can be frozen diluted in ice-cubes for drinks (any clear spirit will do!)
or lollies to suck, icecream machines and makes a refreshing sorbet,
If you are into japanese tempura you can also deepfry elderflower dunked in a light beer batter on its own, or serve as a sophisticated pud, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, cointreau, and plop of vanilla ice cream, mmm 

Best not pick elderflowers by a road, Avoid plant creatures before picking and only pick the best blossoms (not withered), stalks make it easy to pick and handle. Carry home carefully in a bag to retain pollen

• 4 weeks later...
Re citric acid.  Simply order it at the pharmacy.  Last week my village pharmacy obtained some saltpetre for me within 24 hours.  Remembering the query raised in this thread I asked if citric acid could be got with equal ease, and they confirmed that this was the case.