Ice Cream - Recommendations?

lorna

The best ice cream we've had in France has been from local patissiers who make their own - but it seems as if very few of them now do so.

The supermarket stuff is pretty universally pants imho. In fact it does seem easier to fnd decent "artisan" ice cream in UK than in France.

edit - just reminded by Mrs chrisb that if you live in an area where Eismann frozen food deliver they do some lovely vanilla as well as other flavours.

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]Like finding the perfect wine.[6][/quote]That's easy, the one thats in my glass right now [:D]

Or rather not at this precise instant because I'm offshore, a place where Sherry Trifle and Brandy Sauce come sans their eponymous titles and where 'coq au vin' is a blatant travesty and insult to the recipe [:'(]

Woodyapricot, yes you are right, we have been banning Nestlé products for so long that I have almost forgotten why now, especially since there are so many others big labels that need banning too - but that should be another thread.

I forgot to mention PICARD's wonderful ice-creams too, although they are a bit pricy. Those are excellent if you can get them. Picard being the big frozen food upmarket supermarket.

I have no trouble finding artisanal ice-cream - in my little townlet, there are at least 3 different sources. I don't touch the industrial stuff that passes for ice-cream in supermarkets (full of deadly trans-fats, just as deadly corn syrup, synthetic flavours, teeth rotters and cardiovascular disaster promoters, real chemistry sets). Does that sound a bit hardline?

Lorna - 5 Element is right - if you look at the ingredient list on most ice creams, it's enough to make you not want to buy it.  And when you consider the price they are charging for it!  The first ingredient is often water and it goes downhill from there.  All vanilla ice cream should have in it is cream, sugar, and vanilla.  French vanilla ice cream has eggs too (at least that's the designation we use in the US).   Thought of making it yourself?  Otherwise you can just go by the ingredient list - but expect to pay a lot!

Kim

Thank-you for all the suggestions and recommendations. One of the reasons we tried Mackie's in the first place was that it had no artificial colour or flavouring (I could never understand the need for colour in vanilla ice cream). I wouldn't mind an ice-cream machine but we don't have room in our kitchen. I'm not sure about making it by hand - might give it a go sometime.