rhubarb, orange and ginger flan

Mme poivre

Hi all

The other night flicking through living france May editions page 55 came across this recipe so thought I would give it a go.

Oh My goodness I have died and gone to heaven it is the most delicious thing I have tasted for ages. (yes I lead a sheltered life)[:P]

Has anyone else tried it?

Judith 

Here you go woolyb's brother

75g unsalted butter    175g Ginger biscuits,crushed     450g rhubarb, cut into small pieces        grated zest and juice of 1 large orange    2 eggs, separated

50g caster sugar       2 tablespoons cornflour       1 teaspoon ground ginger

Melt the butter and stir in the biscuit crumbs.  Press the mixture over the base and sides of a 20cm flan dish or tin and chill while you make the filling.  Cook the rhubarb with 3 table spoons of water.  cover and simmer until soft.  Beat the rhubarb into a puree.   Combine the orange zest, egg yolks, sugar, cornfolur and ginger in a heavy pan and heat gently stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.  remove from heat and stir in the rhubarb.  Allow to cool slightly.  Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.  Spoon into the chilled flan case and refrigerate for several hours or over night.

Enjoy

Judith

Good suggestion, Puzzled.  I don't think I would have bothered to make this if I had to prepare and cook the rhubarb.  But using the Bonne Maman ready-prepared rhubarb makes this recipe much more enticing for me.

Visitors coming tomorrow so they can be the guinea-pigs.

Sweet 17

I hope your visitors liked the pudding as much as i did.[:D]

did you find it easy to make?  could you get all the ingrediants?  I am interested toknow because i would like to make it for my french neighbours in auggust when i am ovewr there.

Judith

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Sweet dix sept, did you use the Bonne Maman rhubarb, and if so, did you use all 50g of sugar?  I only ask because I find all the Bonne Maman compotes very sweet.  Jen[/quote]

No, Jen, only used a couple of dessertspoonfuls as I don't like anything that is too sweet. 

hi all

Glad you enjoyed it.

Has anyone any suggestions for using the same formula and using three different ingredients?  Could you suggest any?   Could use digestive biscuits for base instead of ginger ones,!

just thought it might be interesting to try out some[:D]

Judith  XX

[quote user="Belle"]What is Bonne Maman rhubarb please, and whereabouts in supermache will I find it.[/quote]

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/rhubarbe.jpg[/IMG]

Available from most French supermarkets, usually in the tinned fruit section.