Landgut Bread Mix

Mike1958

Has anyone used the Landgut bread mix from Lidl. I have made the brown and brown with nuts which was very good. I would like to try the ciabatta but cannot understand the directions in French. I think it is telling me to put in a dish of water when cooking the bread in the oven( I do not use a machine). If anyone can help would be most grateful.

I have use it many times and they recommend putting a dish containing some water at the bottom of the oven.

It is something I usually do anyway when warming it up to bake bread.

It creates steam inside the oven, which keeps the outside of the loaves moist and supple so that the bread can

spring for as long as possible. Once the outside of the loaf begins to

dry out it hardens, preventing further spring. Then the crust begins to

form.

For maximum oven spring and a crunchy crust, the trick is to get a lot

of steam in the oven early and then have the oven dry out for the

remainder of the baking.

the best way to have steam is to leave a metal container on the botton of the oven.

when the oven is hot and on the same moment when you put the dough in, drop a few cubes of ice in the container, it will steam quickly and evaporate all in 10-15 minutes

this one was done in my wood burning pizza oven,  it's a mix of normal flour and farine de seigle from a local mill: 

best bread ever!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Im a novice at using my Breadmaker-     Ive just used Lidls  Landrot Multigrain Breadmix but I used the standard White Bread Option -   Should I have used the Wholemeal option   ( it proves for longer and cook for longer )  .

What do other folks do

Thanks Clair   . I cant say Im delighted so far with  the results  so far and I had a blinding flash of brainyness and thought  OMG Its Multigrain  - should have used  the wholemeal . option

I used both halves of the bag now but  - I dont think my guesstimate of equal halves was perfect !!!! . I must look for my scales and have a  go with real flour etc next time.

I am done with breadmaking.  Tried a few flours and breadmixes from different manufacturers.  Followed the instructions to a T.  Result?  OK bread but the boulangerie does MUCH better.

My bread just doesn't rise as much as normal![:(]

We always use the ciabatta mix from Lidl (blue pack) to make our normal loaves.  We never buy shop bread.  Half a pack in the breadmaker (I guess it by squeezing the bag and tipping it) 360 cl of warm water, a splash of olive oil and let it get on with it.  Perfect every time, it rises, browns etc and smells heavenly!

I haven't a breadmaker.  Every 6 months or so, OH and I have a discussion on whether we should get one. 

They're quite cheap now but I always think it will be yet another gadget to take up worktop space (of which I don't have a lot) and then I may not like the bread and it will be yet another gadget to consign to the rubbish heap.

Decisions, decisions; the older I get, the harder they are to make!  grr..............

I brought our Breville back from the UK when we lived in Spain and it's been great.  I also know someone who bought a really cheap one from Lidl's and it's great too - it makes two smaller loaves which is good if, like us, you don't actually use much bread,  you can slice and freeze one for toast etc.  They do take up a little space but if you are already into making your own bread I would highly recommend one.  You can even set it to come on during the off-peak electricity period.

Are there any breadmakers which don't leave a hole in the bottom of the loaf from pulling the paddle out?

I've got a really old breadmaker from Argos and I usually just use it for making the dough, then transfer to a loaf tin to bake in the oven, but it'd be nice to replace it with a machine which could make a complete (unmutilated!) loaf.

Consider the engineering implications of what you are asking. The dough has to be kneaded with a mechanical device (the paddle), how on earth is it going to suddenly disappear when the kneading is completed. Your manual transfer method overcomes that design limitation. Lets face it, a small 'mutilation' on the underside of a loaf is not really a big deal.

The breadmaker I have was given to me, someone's cast-off. It is an unknown make, it makes small loaves, but it is fabulous, especially with the LIDL mixture. It is sometimes a challenge to get the bread and blade out of the tin, especially since the Teflon coating has all but disappeared, been scratched away over the years (very resilient, that cheap breadmaker).

The most unpleasant task now, is to butter all the inside, and the helix (blade) very thoroughly, otherwise it is really kids' stuff. I just would not be without a breadmaker now, especially a simple one.

Years ago I used to make bread from fresh yeast (or even make my own starter for sourdough!) and flour etc.. and knead it all by hand. What a luxury to just be able to work for about 3 minutes and the machine does the rest. Well worth the space it takes on the work surface. I might even buy a new one, one day![:D]

I suppose that, having read all the posts, especially 5-E's, I could be persuaded to actually buy a breadmaker.

Mind you, I really enjoyed the kneading and so on and found it very soothing in some strange way.  It was just that the results weren't the least bit "soothing" and I'd be disappointed as hell and my temper would not be soothed one bit by the OH lying through his teeth and saying how nice the bread was!