Is a Hog Roast out of the question?

Rose

Dear all... Mr Rose (aka Greyman) is going to be 50 soon and we are planning a bit of a party.  I would really really really love to have a Hog Roast but so far I have only found one company that do this and they are charging 750 euros which is a bit more than I wanted to pay (they do all the work, bring rolls and apple sauce and salad and the pig is organic - hence the price) [blink]

I'm all but giving up on the idea but I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows anyone who 'does' hog roasts...  We're 20 minutes south of Perigueux and 35 minutes north of Bergerac - any information will be very gratefully received! [:D]

You should definitely find someone who can do a méchoui.  We have been to two in the last twelve months (both fetes) and we are only half an hour from you.  If you have no luck with the butcher pm me and I'll find out who the ones we went to.

[quote user="Scooby"]You should definitely find someone who can do a méchoui.  We have been to two in the last twelve months (both fetes) and we are only half an hour from you.  If you have no luck with the butcher pm me and I'll find out who the ones we went to.

[/quote]

Around here the guys who do méchouis are already taking orders for next year!!!!!

We have a local hamlet pig roast once every two years. The actual electric driven spit is hired from someone local who does this as a bit of a business. In our case one of the neighbours obtains the pig and another is in charge of the roasting. It'a bit like asking the Mairie where to borrow tables and benches from. Try them.

The roasting fire is lit shortly after 6 am and the spit is started about 8 ish to eat sometime mid afternoon. If you don't fancy doing the roasting yourself I bet the man with the spit knows someone who'll do it for you.