carte de sejour

glacier1

Do I need a carte de sejour even if I'm British and I've worked year a few years to start my own business? (S.A.R.L).  I am confused.  I was told in the begning to not get it, now they said I need it, and so does my mother which is going to be "employed" by myself.  What's the word of the law say? 

You do not need a carte de sejour, they do not give it out anymore to those from european countries. Alot of people still ask for it but if try to get one you will be told they do not do them anymore. Only for Australians and a few other countries.

Amber

[quote user="amber"]You do not need a carte de sejour, they do not give it out anymore to those from european countries. Alot of people still ask for it but if try to get one you will be told they do not do them anymore. Only for Australians and a few other countries.

Amber

[/quote]

Clarification: Mr Clair, who is a British national, asked for and obtained a carte de séjour without any problem.

I described the process on this thread: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1105267/ShowPost.aspx#1105267

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="amber"]You do not need a carte de sejour, they do not give it out anymore to those from european countries. Alot of people still ask for it but if try to get one you will be told they do not do them anymore. Only for Australians and a few other countries.

Amber

[/quote]

Clarification: Mr Clair, who is a British national, asked for and obtained a carte de séjour without any problem.

I described the process on this thread: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1105267/ShowPost.aspx#1105267

[/quote]

Hi,

I think it all depends on the attitude of your prefecture; we insisted ,with copies of the relevant regulations, but they adamantly refused, saying that the new regs are not yet in operation (which is true).

We are in Charente-Maritime.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="amber"]Only for Australians and a few other countries.[/quote]Is this true?  I thought a carte de séjour was still required for nationals of everywhere in the world except the EU : about 150 countries, the last time I looked.

[/quote]

Tout étranger âgé de plus de 18 ans,

souhaitant séjourner en France plus de trois mois ou dont la date de

validité du visa est expirée, est tenu de posséder une carte de

séjour.

Des accords internationaux peuvent déroger à ce

principe. C'est le cas, par exemple, pour les citoyens de l'Espace

économique européen (EEE) et suisses.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/...
Any

foreigner who is over 18 years, wishing to stay in France more than

three months or whose visa has expired, is

required to have a residence permit.

International agreements may depart from this principle. This

applies, for example, for citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)

and Swiss.

• 3 weeks later...
One of the main advantages in having a carte is that France is a member of the Schengen Agreement, where passport control is abolished and a residents permit/ National ID Card is the only proof needed of residency within those countries.

It is basically a Passport free area allowing travel by any method.

Ideal if your Passport expires ( The UK and Eire are outside this agreement)

But unlike a national identity card, the residents' permit is not an official substitute for a passport (for certain travel purposes). Although I have used a French carte de sejour myself within the Schengen area (but had a full passport with me if needed) at such border controls that do exist, and as evidence of identity in hotels etc, you are still supposed to have your home national ID card or passport with you. And of course, if you want to travel outside the Schengen area, including to Britain and Ireland, a passport is essential.

[quote user="andyh4"][quote user="Will"]And of course, if you want to travel outside the Schengen area, including to Britain and Ireland, a passport is essential.[/quote]Or National identity card within the EU.[/quote]Will they actually let you enter the UK without a passport if you can produce a French carte de séjour?  I don't have one, and I always take my passport anyway, but I'm curious.

Whatever the answer is, I suppose it should be the same no matter whether you are a national of the UK or any other EU country.

[quote user="andyh4"]a carte de sejour is not a national identity card - so my guess is, no you cannot enter the UK with one.  But you certainly can with a German identity card - all my work colleagues do so.[/quote]Interesting point.  Can a foreign resident in France obtain a French identity card (as opposed to a carte de séjour?)

I suppose there wouldn't be any real advantage over a passport, except that a passport doesn't fit in the average wallet.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="andyh4"]a carte de sejour is not a national identity card - so my guess is, no you cannot enter the UK with one.  But you certainly can with a German identity card - all my work colleagues do so.[/quote]Interesting point.  Can a foreign resident in France obtain a French identity card (as opposed to a carte de séjour?)

[/quote]

If you take French Nationality..!

as for the  carte de séjour you can't use it to enter the UK because it is outside the Schengen area.

The carte de séjour is very useful as a ID document, as it has your address on it, unlike a UK passport.

I have often used it to pop over to Spain too  (inside the Schengen area).

It is also more familiar to French officials being in French...

• 1 year later...
Can I get a Carte de sejour for my daughter, age 15, who will be going away to Lycee in september and is often asked for ID while drawing money out of her La Poste account.

I dont want her to worry about having to cart her passport about!

ps We have lived in France for over 5 years. The rules appear to state that you can get one if you have lived in France for less than 5 yrs!?

[quote user="Piddy"]Can I get a Carte de sejour for my daughter, age 15, who will be going away to Lycee in september and is often asked for ID while drawing money out of her La Poste account.

I dont want her to worry about having to cart her passport about! [/quote]

As stated in previous posts, the carte de séjour is not a substitute for a passport.