Pickled onions

bourrut

We live in a region renowned for it's shallots and onions and so I always pickle a fair amount. To keepthem crisp you must soak them overnight in cold salty water and then rinse extremely well. Mine never go soggy and keep for a few years.

I've been making my own for a few months now - frankly they don't last long because my OH scoffs 'em rapidly!   Yes they do need to be soaked in salted water overnight then packed into clean jars in pickling vinegar.   I use vinaigre d'alcool, boiled-up with peppercorns and a finely chopped red chilli, packed into the jars with a couple of fresh bayleaves.   I have now got our French neighbour hooked on them too.    I could not find malt vinegar here hence why I use vinaigre d'alcool instead, but I reckon it tastes nearest to the vinegar we are used to with our onions.   [blink]

• 3 weeks later...
I use Cider Vinegar which is actually much nearer to Malt Vinegar when pickling. My onions keep crisp for years - agreed it is the brining that is essentail. You can buy pickling onions here in the Dordogne but I think it may be a bit late in the season now - I usually buy then in August/September time.