Steak Haches

Mr Coeur de Lion

Hi Frenchie

I first encoutered this expression on a banner being carried proudly by some French students on the huge anti-Iraq-war demonstration in London in February 2003.

the phrase "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" was notoriously used (having been pinched from The Simpsons) by particularly rabid Republican Americans around the time of the Iraq war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese-eating_surrender_monkeys

I love that it was a British comedian who turned the phrase back on the "burger-eating invasion monkeys", and I take great pride in siding with the cheese-eaters!

So - no offence intended!

Hi again Frenchie

I'm sure when used by the far right in the USA it was supposed to be just that...

But I trust you understand that the French students, and I, were ridiculing the attitude of those people and their (actually pretty idiotic) term of abuse. I was being ironic - I'm profoundly sorry if that did not come across.

Fay

[quote]It is minced steak and if you buy it from a butcher's, he will mince it in front of you.[/quote]

Yes our main butcher (there are various things we prefer from our other local butcher) will do it any day except one (Wednesday?) when the mincer is reserved for veal.

I'm no cookery expert (even if I do know a bit about the consumption side) but I believe that the big difference is the length of time the meat is hung for - in the UK 28 days (or thereabouts) is not uncommon and the beef remains tender even well after "à point" but beef here is only hung for about a week or so and anywhere after "à point" will be tough as old boots, hence the preference for pink, pinker, pinkest.

Personally, I think the 28-day variety tastes best "à point" or even very slightly in excess of that while French beef definitely tastes best (for me) nice and pink (though not saignant).

[quote user="chessfou"][quote]It is minced steak and if you buy it from a butcher's, he will mince it in front of you.[/quote]

beef here is only hung for about a week or so and anywhere after "à point" will be tough as old boots, hence the preference for pink, pinker, pinkest.

[/quote]

In my case I really find it TASTES much better.

Was born and bred in France, so I guess taste is acquired.