Steak Haches

Mr Coeur de Lion

Went to flunch the other day and I just ordered a simple beefburger and chips.

I was asked how I wanted my beefburger cooked. I replied the normal way, but the cook really wanted to know rare, medium or well done. Is this normal for beefburgers over here? It's not steak, it's only minced beef. You never get asked that at McDonalds and that's (basically) the same thing.

Confused.

R.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Went to flunch the other day and I just ordered a simple beefburger and chips.
I was asked how I wanted my beefburger cooked. I replied the normal way, but the cook really wanted to know rare, medium or well done. Is this normal for beefburgers over here? [/quote]

Absolutely; my OH, who is a 'bleu' man, loves to be asked, waits for the surprised look, then reiterates he really does want his steak/ beefburger/ whatever 'bleu', inspite of him being English - who, to be sure[;-)], normally prefer their meat 'très bien cuit'. He enjoys being on the receiving end of the smile which follows his confirmation 'oui, bleu SVP'.

Sue [:)] - an 'almost' veggie

I have no problem with blue or rare steaks, but I'd never eat steak haché that way. 

If meat has been stored or handled less than perfectly hygienically, the bacteria are on the outer surfaces of the meat, but get zapped by the fierce heat of cooking.  In a less than perfect steak haché though, the bacteria get mixed into the middle in the mincing process, and while the outer surfaces will be safe after cooking, the middle will just have warmed up enough to have all the bugs partying [+o(]

[quote user="Cat"]

I have no problem with blue or rare steaks, but I'd never eat steak haché that way. 

If meat has been stored or handled less than perfectly hygienically, the bacteria are on the outer surfaces of the meat, but get zapped by the fierce heat of cooking.  In a less than perfect steak haché though, the bacteria get mixed into the middle in the mincing process, and while the outer surfaces will be safe after cooking, the middle will just have warmed up enough to have all the bugs partying [+o(]

[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way. In fact I normally eat steak rare, but

the thought of eating minced beef any other way but cooked through

makes me feel a bit nautious (sp).

Steak haché bleu or rare is the normal way in France, and I must admit if it is too cooked ( I gues that s what most of you would call the normal way ), for me it spoils the taste..

I fancy one NOW ... [:-))]

Just like what we French call rostbeef.. just 20 minutes in the oven.. OMG , it s delicious ( rare ..) 

Oh that is just sooooo true Frenchie!

Yes bleu steak haché and beef (a good cut) for just 20 minutes in a very hot oven then 15 mins or so in a warm place for the heat to pass into the meat without cooking it.  That's what I'm having on Sunday.  Want to join us for lunch?  I will be doing parsnips, roast potatos and yorkshire puddings too (and 'proper' gravy)

LyndaandRichard wrote the following post at 04/12/2008 19:48:

So the minced beef in the UK is not the same then? Or it is and everyone just cooks it so it's brown all the way through?

In France steak haché is as has already been mentioned minced steak.

In the UK minced beef or beefburger is minced whatever as long as some of it (often as little as 40%) has come from the cow, this includes all the bits you would not chose to eat included stuff mechanically removed from the bone with a pressure washer.

So to answer your question ........... - a definite NO!

Mind you unless you enjoy your steak haché bleu or saignant you will not appreciate the difference, if you prefer it bien cuit you should buy beefburgers instead which are available in some shops, Aldi being one, they are cunningly labelled boeuf haché to catch out the unwary, definitely not to be eaten bleu [:)]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Oh that is just sooooo true Frenchie!

Yes bleu steak haché and beef (a good cut) for just 20 minutes in a very hot oven then 15 mins or so in a warm place for the heat to pass into the meat without cooking it.  That's what I'm having on Sunday.  Want to join us for lunch?  I will be doing parsnips, roast potatos and yorkshire puddings too (and 'proper' gravy)

[/quote]

I'm on my way.. An ideal meal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[;-)]

Did anyone see on the news last week a story about a woman who went into hospital for a brain operation and the surgeon found a LIVE  worm in her brain. Probably caused by eating under cooked meat was the verdic. Yes, very, very well done for me from now onwards.

[quote user="valB"]Did anyone see on the news last week a story about a woman who went into hospital for a brain operation and the surgeon found a LIVE  worm in her brain. Probably caused by eating under cooked meat was the verdic. Yes, very, very well done for me from now onwards.[/quote]

It must have been pork, not beef.

If you have a look on the internet about this worm story it is a) all flaky American news stations and b) seems to be - allegedly - related to a pork taco.

You can't get a rare steak in the US in case you sue them (as I found out in the heart of 'cattle country' last month). This sort of sensationalist rubbish explains why.

Hurrah for properly hung, prepared and cooked - or raw - beef in the land of 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys'.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Steak haché bleu or rare is the normal way in France, and I must admit if it is too cooked ( I gues that s what most of you would call the normal way ), for me it spoils the taste..

I fancy one NOW ... [:-))]

Just like what we French call rostbeef.. just 20 minutes in the oven.. OMG , it s delicious ( rare ..) 

[/quote]

I love roast beef done the French way, but I just don't know what cut to use.  Can you tell me please?

As for steak hache, there is no comparison with McDonalds.  I've never been able to understand why McDonalds is so popular in France (apart from price) when you could go elsewhere and get steak hache.  When doing overnight stops, we sometimes go to Buffalo Grill and sometimes I choose to have steak hache rather than a proper steak and don't mind it being pink in the middle, yet in England I would never eat a burger when I'm out.  Then there is the minced steak.  Many years ago, we used minced beef in England to make spag bol.  On one occasion we made it in France, and as far as I'm aware, you don't get minced beef - only minced steak.  That was the best spag bol we'd ever had, and since then, we don't look on it as something to do with cheap mince, but buy minced steak in England for all things that use mince nowadays.

I buy steak hachés 5% fat ; in Carrefour, in the meat section, they re good, or in Intermarché, the man does them in front of you if you ask for them.

He chooses a piece of meat he shows you, then he minces the meat.

This way the steak hachés are usually bigger , and very tasty.

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/7_4_33.gif[/IMG]