Duck fat pastry

seb47

Chilled I should think, so that you could throw it into the blender with the margarine or butter until it looks like breadcrumbs, then add 1 teaspoon of cold water for every 25g flour - using say 250g flour and 125 g combined fats. (The Home Ec teacher in me coming out here). You should add the water gradually as it's easy to use too much.

[quote user="seb47"]Chilled I should think, so that you could throw it into the blender with the margarine or butter until it looks like breadcrumbs, then add 1 teaspoon of cold water for every 25g flour - using say 250g flour and 125 g combined fats. (The Home Ec teacher in me coming out here). You should add the water gradually as it's easy to use too much.[/quote]

Blender!

My mother taught me to rub in the fats the proper way - no flour above the second knuckle or it was a whack with the rolling pin! Hands run under the cold tap before beginning.

That was why I was asking, the warmth in the pastry would worry me.

I recently made some pastry using Trex, and it was OK, but very like commercial stuff, very crumbly and hard to roll neatly. Back to half butter, I suspect!

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="seb47"]Chilled I should think, so that you could throw it into the blender with the margarine or butter until it looks like breadcrumbs, then add 1 teaspoon of cold water for every 25g flour - using say 250g flour and 125 g combined fats. (The Home Ec teacher in me coming out here). You should add the water gradually as it's easy to use too much.[/quote]

Blender!

My mother taught me to rub in the fats the proper way - no flour above the second knuckle or it was a whack with the rolling pin! Hands run under the cold tap before beginning.

I recently made some pastry using Trex, and it was OK, but very like commercial stuff, very crumbly and hard to roll neatly. Back to half butter, I suspect!

[/quote]

Funny, I was going to say exactly the same Dick.  I always rub the butter in by hand.  I made a quiche yesterday and my daughter was saying how light and delicious my pastry was! [:D]

[quote user="Lisleoise"][quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="seb47"]Chilled I should think, so that you could throw it into the blender with the margarine or butter until it looks like breadcrumbs, then add 1 teaspoon of cold water for every 25g flour - using say 250g flour and 125 g combined fats. (The Home Ec teacher in me coming out here). You should add the water gradually as it's easy to use too much.[/quote]

Blender!

[/quote]

Funny, I was going to say exactly the same Dick.  I always rub the butter in by hand.  I made a quiche yesterday and my daughter was saying how light and delicious my pastry was! [:D]

[/quote]

I just don't think that food processors get enough air into the crumb. Possibly OK when you want a slightly harder pastry, such as for quiche, but otherwise a bit tough.

I always use a blender with great results.  Likewise with sponge cake - throw everything in, add half a teaspoon of raising agent for each 50gm of SR raising flour, blitz for a minute and done.  Makes a perfect victoria sponge cake in minutes.  The speed at which my lot eat I would be permanently in the kitchen if I did everything by hand!!