Southern Fried Chicken

JSA Aude

My son has asked me to make some Southern Fried Chicken (as near to KFC as poss!).  Does anyone have a tasty recette that will satisfy him and the OH?  Have googled but there are so many variations on a theme I've come to the reliable (!) source.  Many thanks.

• 2 months later...
Here's a recipe I've tried in the States with great success. However, I'm not sure if it's the flour or the chicken used in France, but it hasn't turned out as great. I've found the French free-range birds to be tasty, but not as tender. They seem a bit leaner than the mass-produced variety. You might want to try some of the cheaper chicken you find at the supermarche.

Chill leg/thigh pieces (breast can be used, too) in a bowl of ice. Sprinkle spice mixture over chicken and mix. Use whatever you would like. Garlic or onion salt, adobo powder, paprika, cayenne, any herb/spice combo will do. In another bowl, mix a bit of spice with flour. Coat chicken with flour mix and shake off excess. Heat a pot of vegetable oil to 230-240 celsius. Drop chicken pieces in. Don't over-crowd the pot and do not move the chicken pieces once in the pot for at least five minutes. You want the flour mix to sear, sealing in all the juices. Cook for 15 minutes or so depending on the size of the pieces. Typically, when pieces start to float, they're about done. Place cooked chicken on paper towel or paper plates so excess oil drains off. Coleslaw, mashed potatoes and some canned corn make this dinner the ultimate in comfort food. Good luck.

-drewmo

No, best to leave the bones in. I suppose you could apply this recipe to strips of breast meat without bone. Easier for the kids to eat. However, leave the skin intact on whole pieces. Keeps the meat moist, but gives a good crunch.

An American friend who has lived in France for more than 30 years (and who loves fried chicken) claims that it is difficult to make in France because the chicken are processed so differently than in the US.  (She and I both agree that French chickens are far superior, BTW, but somehow not for deep-frying, American style.)

Anyway, if you can get hold of buttermilk (or make a reasonable facsimile thereof) and let your chicken pieces soak in it overnight before draining and flouring them, it seems to help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Take one battery chicken that has come to the end of its life at 5 months old it is worn out with few feathers left with broken bones.

It is so tough KEC pressure cook for some hours until it is soft.

Now add sugary coating with lots of monosodium glutamate and salt.

Double deep fat dry until it is soaked in lard and finally has some flavour.

Sell at 300% markup.

Simple.