New Paris Restaurant Blog

Mortstiff

[quote user="NormanH"]Brings back memories of wealthier days...

Just a suggestion.

Any chance of linking the list of reviews to the reviews themselves to avoid having to scroll down through the whole log?

[/quote]

Funny you should ask - I've wanted to do that, but don't know how.  I'll keep

working at it - in the meantime, just click on the month and that will save you time.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]Can you recommend a good (inexpensive) vegetarian resto around the 5° please that's open on a sunday evening? I'm going in a fortnight with my veggie son.

[/quote]

There used to be one on rue St. Maur, just up from ave de la Republique.  Let me get back to you on this.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]Can you recommend a good (inexpensive) vegetarian resto around the 5° please that's open on a sunday evening? I'm going in a fortnight with my veggie son.

[/quote]

If your son likes crepes, one possibility is the Breizh Cafe:

109 rue Vielle du Temple, Métro Filles-du-Calvaire, 75003 Paris

+33 1 42 72 13 77

It's open on Sundays, but it's not in the 5th - it's in the 3rd.

Otherwise, your best bet will probably be an Asian restaurant - many are open on Sundays, are inexpensive,

and with tons of vegetarian plates.   Restaurant Sala Thai in the 13th is a good bet for Laotian and Thai food -

a long menu with all sorts of offerings:

13 rue des Freres d'Astier de la Vigerie

01 45 84 13 22

Two restaurants I recently reviewed are very non-meat friendly - Urbane and Ze Kitchen Galerie - although

neither is very inexpensive, open on Sunday, or in the 5th.

If your son eats shellfish, there's always Leon's for mussels.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]Thank you very much Morstiff! We're staying in a friend's appartement on the eastern edge of the 5° and going to a concert in the 11° on the monday so the 3° works well for us for either the sunday or the monday.

[/quote]

Also, have a look at the video here:  http://www.geobeats.com/videoclips/france/paris/vegetarian-restaurant

[quote user="Lisleoise"]Thanks again. We're staying in rue Gay Lussac and I've just googled and there is this restaurant  a few doors away - do you know it?  There is also a Japanese right next door but I'm not sure if my 15 year old would go for that!

[/quote]

Don't know Les Papilles, but it's described favorably in the Zagat guide.  Lively place, according to the description, but I think

it's one of those spots with a one-choice menu. Could be a perfect place for lunch.

I'd be wary of taking a chance on a Japanese restaurant that you haven't heard

anything about.  Could be good, likely to be expensive - like most Japanese restaurants in Paris - and I always warn against

dining anywhere in Paris on the basis of location and 'it looks interesting.'  The only way I'd do that is if I were in a neighborhood

where virtually every place is empty except for the one restaurant that is packed.  Chances are, that's the good one.