Translation please?

Jonzjob

Can anyone translate this for me please? It is the last word that has us confused.. If anyone does know then a quick reply would be appreciated as we are going to the Château de Cavanac for lunch today!!

"Cuite au feu de << souquets>>"

That is how it is printed on the menu and it is steak that is being cooked.

Ta![:D]

I think souquets are the woody part of a vine, although I've also seen it used for the new shoots growing at the base of an olive tree.

EDIT, Mr Cat says they're more likely to be the olive tree shoots.

S, we would have loved to see you both again, but we had family with us and there was a lot of very good food and wine!! Frances was driving and as we arrived at 12.30 and didn't finish till just gone 5 and had the dog in the car we came straight home!!

After all that none of us had the dteak anyway, but the souris was wonderful. It really is a lovely place to go for a special meal!

Thank you to every one for your help!!

vine shoots

I don't think you will find "souquet" in the dictionary but it is used for "petite souche", so look up "souche".

One of our neighbours volunters to prune most of the vines that grow in the village in return for these ... they certainly work wonderfully on (under?)his barbecue in the summer.

[quote user="chessfou"]vine shoots

I don't think you will find "souquet" in the dictionary but it is used for "petite souche", so look up "souche".

One of our neighbours volunters to prune most of the vines that grow in the village in return for these ... they certainly work wonderfully on (under?)his barbecue in the summer.[/quote]

I agree that it is most likely to be 'cooked on a barbecue of 'souches de vigne' as this is very common.

The word 'souquet' is often used in connection with olive trees:

see this article (in the section 'Multiplication')

"L'olivier peut être multiplié par différentes méthodes: noyaux d'olives, morceaux de souche et rejets ("souquets"), greffes et bouturage herbacé."

"souquet" (morceau de souche)"

In the Bordelais, the vine clippings are 'sarments de vigne' and the leg of the vine is a 'pied de vigne'.  No self respecting viticulteur cooks on anything else. The only problem with the sarments is that they burn out very quickly, but as they are usually used for an entrecote, five minutes is all they need!