Halloumi Cheese - Lidl

mary

Lidl have got Halloumi cheese in this weeks - food promotions.  Its not in the fridge, but in a box in the weekly promitional foods shelf.  It was about 2.50E a box.  Sell by date is March 2010 so must be long life.  It's very yummy!!!

[quote user="vida "]Lidl have got Halloumi cheese in this weeks - food promotions.  Its not in the fridge, but in a box in the weekly promitional foods shelf.  It was about 2.50E a box.  Sell by date is March 2010 so must be long life.  It's very yummy!!![/quote]

very thinly sliced and fried till just brown. Is it Australian haloumi ? that seems to be the best, served with a dip of raspberry jam and balsamic vinegar.

Bought and tried some of Lidl's halloumi yesterday - wasn't hugely impressed.  It's OK if you're desparate for a halloumi-hit, but it's not very flavoursome - not a patch on the stuff you can get in the UK.

Not cheap either.  But what is these days!

Real Halloumi only comes from Cyprus. It comes in two main types – in packaging, soft and white and suitable for palming off on the export market.

Type two which is usually made to order is stored in large jars and can last over five years it develops a harder more yellow consistency. As for the taste –just typing this has made me want some.

Try it with water melon and bread

• 2 weeks later...
Well I finally got some (loads actually!) and being an aficionado of Halloumi I think its a good one and the best news is it is now reduced to 1.99 a packet.  By the way the same brand Feta is very good also.  Thank you everybody for telling us where to go[:D]