Jambon or Not?

Fi

I am slightly disappointed.  I bought a lump of something called jambon at the supermarket (it looked like a thick ( cm) slice of leg of pork (about 20cm across) but was labelled jambon.  I cheerfully cooked it in the usual (for ham) way - wrapped tightly in foil with a couple of bayleaves, a few cloves, a few peppercorns and baked for 90 mins or so. Had promised the mob ham, new spuds and cauliflower au gratin, and so we were very disappointed to find I had cheerfully cooked a lump of pork (i.e. uncured ham!).  It was a bit dry, boring and an unappetising grey colour - it'll do for a stirfry or something.  But it wasn't ham. 

Anyone know why a slice of leg of pork would be labelled jambon en rond avec os?  I thought I knew my food - I refer to Larousse Gastronomique to check what cuts are the equivalent of the UK version, and check in my French cookery book what the optimum method of cooking is for each cut (i.e. braising, roasting, frying etc).  Neither covered this delight though!

Any thoughts - be kind though - it's Sunday and the weather has been dreadful all weekend and the brats are driving me insane!

Fi

Hi Fi

Jambon = leg, rond = round, avec os = with bone.......and you now know you bought...... a round piece of leg of pork with the bone in.....what you want is porc salé or fumé

salé = cured, fumé = smoke cured

Hope it helps

ps I would cook up some onions in olive oil add garlic and cook a couple of min's more then add a tin or two of tomatoes and cook for 10 min's then add your pork and cook on a low heat for about an hour (you may need to top up with liquid)......... you could add a glass or two of red wine just before the tom's and a little sage, salt / pepper to taste.

All the best

I translated jambon as ham, rather than a bit of jambe - and there was probably some wishful thinking going on there as well!  Petit sale is not the same - it is terribly good with lentils though.  Or as the one of the ingredients of Baeckeoffe or cassoulet