British Food Direct

Grecian

Has anybody out there recently placed an order with British Food Direct? I asked the question as we placed an order with the company over 3 weeks ago, and to date have not received our order, although the money has been debited from my wife's account. We have e-mailed the company 3 times now, and have had no replies to our e-mails. Looking at their website it says they are having trouble with their landline number, and to use either the mobile number provided or e-mail them. I have done a search on the forum, and I see other people have had trouble with this company back in January, it's a pity I did not do the search before placing our order.

Can't help smelling a rat here, very convenient that their landline is not working at the moment, and with them blatantly ignoring e-mails things do not look good. So I would urge all other forum members to treat this company with extreme caution at the moment, if contemplating placing an order with them.

I suppose I will have to put my 'Mr Nasty' hat on, and send off a letter threatening them with everything I can think of, probably from the police to the guillotine!

Clair, please do not blame yourself; you weren't to know.

Grecian, I was one of the people who posted about a problem.  Thankfully for me, although they didn't send my order, they also didn't deduct my credit card.

I'm sorry you've been caught up in this matter.

Thanks for the replies.

Clair please do not worry about mentioning this company, it only goes to show that it is 'buyer beware' when dealing with an Internet based company, at least you know you can trust deal old Amazon to supply the goods, if ordering through them.

Regarding how we paid, it was with a Nationwide debit card I am afraid, so no comeback there, we closed our only credit card account when we left the UK, and no Roger I did not order any wine!

Today I have sent a 'final warning' e-mail, I am not touching the mobile phone number, as I guess they have probably got it wrigged for something like £5 a minute or some such amount, informing them that if things are not sorted by the close of business today, then I will be contacting Bristol Trading Standards, The Police and Watchdog, so hopefully out of one these establishments I can at least stop them ripping-off anybody else in the future.

You would be able to reclaim on a nationwide debit card, I did after the demise of Speedferries, the difficulty is gettibg past the call centre operatives to the disputes department who are very helpfull.

The procedure is called VISA debit chargeback, you will need first to have failed in your negotiations with the company,, you really should try the contact number that they have given, there may be a simple explanation for your woes, misdelivery, parcel awaiting collection etc.

My order took over a month to get here in spite of loads of emails and a couple of replies. When it eventually arrived, 9 out of 10 cans were crushed and one had even leaked over the rest of the stuff. When the family was here from the UK last weekend I showed them the tins and they reckon that British Food Direct buy crushed cans cheaply and that's why I had to wait so long. I took some photos of the cans which I sent to them and told them exactly what I thought of them! No replies since and I'll be going back to British Corner Shop next time.

ETA

The packing was done perfectly and the was no way the cans were crushed during shipping.

That's interesting moonraker, it would seem this company is a shambles, and one to be steered clear of in the future, customer service does not seem to be their strong point. So I guess if my order finally shows up, I can look forward to my bread flour and tea bags being covered in baked beans and Patak's madras curry sauce!

I will give them until the middle of next week, although I have already sent my threatening e-mail, to contact Bristol Trading Standards, and then take things from there.

For future reference, do you consider British Corner Shop to be reliable and actually deliver the goods ordered?

• 2 weeks later...
After 5 e-mails, two of them threatening BFD with everything I could think of, the package finally arrived today, 5 weeks after placing my order, and true to form moonraker, 10 of the 11 cans were dented, again not due to the way they were packed. Not only that, one of the items ordered was not in the box, even though it had been crossed off on the check list.

I only received a reply to the last e-mail I sent them, informing them that I intended to telephone Bristol Trading Standards within the next 24 hours. This did provoke a response, and I was fed the excuse that my original package had been damaged and so they were sending a replacement. Quite funny that as the status showing on their website for my order, still showed processing right up until my last e-mail.

To my mind this is a very poorly run company, that are not interested in repeat orders, only trying to rip people off in any way that they can. I would again advise anybody thinking of placing an order with British Food Direct to treat this company with extreme caution.

Please remember the code of conduct when posting:

There is to be no 'naming

and shaming' on the site.

If you have any complaints about particular

individuals/companies then contact the relevant parties or authorities.

Thank you.

Forum moderators